1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Neil - Grand dates

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lancelot, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancelot

lancelot Member

My wife attended her first Grand this year. She asked me why it was held at this time of year with the sweltering heat. My first thought and responce was, "because it has been held at this time for 80+ years."

The more I thought about it the more I thought - why not change? When the location changed we already had a break with tradition so what difference would it make to go ahead and change the time to a more comfortable time of year?

Your thoughts, Oh Sage.

Ron Ireland

2. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

where will you get the help if you DON'T hold it in the summer?

3. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Average high in August in Sparta: 88

Average low in August in Sparta: 64

This year is very unseasonably warm.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just as another thought to go along with jevoliva. If you hold it any later in the year it will begin to interfere with families and school. Yeah it aint about the kids but families take vacations to the Grand along with Moms, Dads and kids shooting and if the kids are in school not all can shoot ... leave it during this same time and just tell your wife that its just like ya'lls anniversary, you wish you could change that date as well but it just aint possible.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Wonder how Missouri holds a trapshoot in October, after all the kids are in school????

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

lancelot, the heat this week is an all-time record. The most likely prediction for next year is that it will be more normal (regression to the mean.)

Next year's Grand will be shorter, but start in the same general time-frame, as it has for 107 years.

It's been hot at Sparta but last year was OK. It's been hot in Iowa some years. Wet in others. Why an't they schedule it when it is just cool and sunny? South Dakota's been an oven a couple of years. It snowed in Tucson this year. They called it "breezy" in Laramie last month - I'd like to have them move it to a month when the average wind-speed is lower. If fact, the only time I ever attended the Illinois State Shoot is was around Springfield and 106 degrees, about 15 years ago. I hear it's been more reasonable since.

I'm a Vet, 67 and no spring chicken, and have shot every target here for the six major shoots they've had. It can be done. All you have to - as Nike advises -do is "Just do it."

Neil

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.