1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Mec owners

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Big gun, If you are fixed on one load then Mec bars and bushings are fine. With the fixed bar you are limitted to close enough on the shot and powder drops. you will have to find the powder bushing that drops as close to your desired charge weight. If you want it closer then you need adjustable. Now if your like me and changing around with different loads then adjustable is very good to have. I now have 5 loaders 3 for trap 1 for 20g and another for steel. I have not started loading steel, but lead ban is on its way im sure. Back to the question. I have adjustable bar in both my 650s bars in the others. I do not have a heck of a lot of bushings. 4 total. just happens to throw the amount I want within .2 grains. Also Remember the progressives throw a lighter charge when you are loading a shell with evey pull. If you load one shell at a time on a progressive you will have a heavier powder charge. All the shaking gets the powder settled in well. So MEASURE you powder drops.I check the 1st 10th and 25th shell. I am getting a 9000 myself. I have settled on a load I really like and will load 3000 of then to use for the rest of the year.

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Adjustable charge bars do offer versatility. I owned several, but got frustrated trying to adjust them...I would set the adjustment then it took several tries to see if I got the weight (powder or shot) I wanted. Bottom line: it took several frustrating tries - I gave up. The MEC charge bars and bushings drop good loads, you may have to open up a charge bar for shot slightly with a rat-tail file; powder bushings are cheap, so you can have as many as you need. Shotgun loads can vary a little bit and performance - making sure you have a safe load - will not suffer. The KISS principle applies - Keep It Simple Stupid - I sold off my adjustables and never looked back..but others like the adjustables a lot. Best Regards, Ed

3. newcastle

newcastle Member

I use the mec bars for 12ga and adj for 20,28 and 410.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The adjuatable bar with operating instructions by Bob Dodd. You'll never look back. Oh yeah, buy a scale, either way you need one.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Adjustable charge bar. Differend shipments of powder weigh different at times. You can set it to drop the EXACT amount you want.

Now the shot is harder to do. I have mine set to drop a pellet or so light. If you change brands of shot, check it also. I use TG because it is heavier.Ray.......

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Get the adjustable, they aren't that hard to set.

Hauxfan!

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Are you smarter than a 5th grader??? (TV Show)

So easy, even a fifth grader could use one....lol

If you do go with bushings, don't forget to add up how many you'll need.

With an adjustable, there are no bushings to buy.

Hauxfan!

8. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Get the narrow plumbers pipe reamer and you can make any bushing throw what you want. The only double charge that I have had was with an adjustable bar and I still don't know how it happened, except the bar had split and must have hug up some how. Was very lucky to catch it. D Winter

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

ajustable is the only way to go if you buy new they come with a powder baffle that makes a big diffence nice thing about the bar is you can move it on shot side to less or more shot to get a good crimp the 9000 uses the model D aj bar rick

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use the bushings most of the time. I change loads frequently and it's faster for me to swap out a bar and bushing. I have the adjustable bars for three of my Mecs and they work fine when they are set. If you load only one or two loads and don't intend to change it a lot, then the Adjustable is OK. It's just not as convenient for me. I have at least two or three of each powder bushing and over twenty bars, including some of the old "fixed" bars that came along with my older loaders. I can always ream a bushing to get the right powder drop if I need to.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I sold reloading equipment, I had about a 30% satisfaction rate with the adjustable bar for the Mec. That meant 7 out of 10 folks were NOT satisfied with it.

I have 24, 28 and 32 gram (7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 oz) bars, and a rack of bushings. I have loaded most available powders in all gauges.

I now load Unique for handicap loads, and the 20/28 ga, and Red Dot for 24 and 28 gram loads in the 12. Three bars and six bushings take care of my 12 ga loading chores. The bar and bushing CANNOT get out of adjustment!

I have two presses for the 12. One for my Caps load, and the other for the Bunker, Skeet, and one ounce load.

Figure out what you shoot, where you shoot caps, if you shoot games or longer than your normal yardage, and go from there.

It is not economical to shoot the same load at everything. 7/8 oz in a 12 is more than enough for Skeet, 16's, or at least the first shot of Dubs, if not both. A snappy one ouncer will give you plenty of confidence for the second shot of Dubs and Sporting, and the 1 1/8 oz boomer works at the back fence.

12. psfive

psfive Member

Adjustable. The only way to go. IMHO I have one for every load I load. Take some time and get it set and as someone else said never look back. Paul

13. drh08

drh08 TS Member

They both have advantages and it's tough to say. the adjustable bar will wear out after a while. meaning it will start cocking its self during cycles and hanging up and will need to be replaced. The bars don't seem to suffer from this particular feature.

Adjustable means you need a digital scale because you are going to measure a lot. For some reason you just don't settle for anything less than 437.5 grains of lead. so you will be measuring the powder drop ( which is never the same as the last time you used it) and the shot drop. A digital just makes it a lot quicker.

I keep thinking I am going back to a bar, but I don't, probably too lazy to convert the darn machine back to use bars I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 24 gram charge bar