1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To insure or not to? Thats the ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I'm curious how many of us insure our firearms? I have seen several threads where someones gun was stolen at the club and it has me thinking.I do have my primary trap gun insured, but that's it.I guess I'm old school.What i have is my business and I prefer to keep it that way. thoughts?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check your homeowners policy, you might be covered and not realize it. HMB

3. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Most homeowners policies have a limit on "interesting" stuff, like firearms, jewelry, computers, things like that. They want to sell you a separate policy, or at least limit their exposure to valuable and portable things. I'd like to know where/how folks insure their guns, though. I had the NRA's separate policy for a number of years, decent coverage at a pretty good price as I recall, then I let it lapse when I got a good fire-resistant safe. I'm still not sure the safe is enough though.

I kind of agree with the OP about keeping my business to myself. One thing I liked about the NRA policy was guns didn't have to be listed - just the total value (well, individual guns above some limit had to be listed, but not the ordinary stuff).

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've had insurance with several companies and none of them covered firearms by default unless you specifically ask and provide a description, identfication and value for each gun you insure. I'm not paranoid about giving that information because it's already recorded in more easily accessible places anyway.

I bought an additional gun policy from my present insurance company that covers anything that could happen to any of my personal guns.

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I thought long and hard about a safe, but felt insurance was the way to go! Even if I had a foolproof safe, it sure would not protect me when on the road to big shoots! I feel fairly comfortable with the NRA insurance as I only have to spell out the higher end guns which happens to be 2 or 3 trapguns in my case! Tom Rhoads

6. hschwartz

hschwartz TS Member

Click on the link below and look at Sportsman Insurance Agency.

http://www.siai.net/ata/

Harvey Schwartz

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

A safe and an alarm system will reduce your premiums. You need a separate policy if the guns/scopes have any significant value.

Don Verna

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Not with all companys Don. I was an insurance agent for many years and I do not know of a company that does not provide coverage on guns as part of a homeowners policy. Maybe oregon is the exception? Not enough coverage to cover most of us but usally 2500 to 3000 for theft. Fire usally has no limit. The internal limits apply to theft, at least in Oregon they do. Jeff

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

You transfer risk you cannot assume. Many comprehensive policies provide basic coverage for jewelry, silverware, etc... with fixed limits, subject to a deductible. If you want to itemize coverage for value, then you have to step it up a notch... but again, only the value you cannot assume yourself...

To itemize, figure a couple percent of value...

Jay

10. pdq

pdq Member

My homeowners policy has a limit of $5k. I have a couple of guns whose individual value is greater than that, so I have seperate declared value policies for each. These are 'all risk" policies that include not only the basics like theft, but also damage during shipping.

That last item came in very handy when UPS recently broke the stock on one of my guns. Claim was no hassle, had the check in a week.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.