1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To improve the crimp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ken a, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken a

ken a Member

What happens to the pattern when you overload the 1 oz wad with 1-1/16 oz shot. The pressures have been calculated and are within the safe limits. I've read all the different ways of improving crimps by adding spent primers, popcorn and such. However I wondered what problem you may have encountered by adding additional shot. ken

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ken. I load 1-1/16 th and split the difference between the one ounce and ounce and an eighth. My crimps are perfect with those. I adjust the components (wad) to make shells that look factory. These are not my best examples. But you get the picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

MIA- My first reaction to your post was a question about how you figured out how much powder to load behind a 1 1/16 oz load. But, I quickly remembered how much shot my bushing marked 1 1/8 oz actually droops.

I have only measured shot drops from five different shot bushings marked 1 1/8 oz. If my limited sample is accurate, few shooters actually shoot 1 1/8 oz loads. If I find both the time and a rat tail file, someday I might shoot 1 1/8 oz loads. Your load of 1 1/16 oz of shot may be the standard reload and we don't even know it.

Why are we so concerned about weighing the correct amount of powder yet most dump in shot from a bushing marked 1 1/8 oz and seldom check it. Or, even worse, do what I do. Weigh the shot, know it is wrong, and just keep loading thinking that someday I might take care of the situation.

Pat Ireland

4. ken a

ken a Member

MIA, Your crimps look perfect to me and as the results I have achieved. I just wondered if there was something I was missing.
    Pat, I'm with you on the shot weight thing but I also weigh everything and have adjusted the bar to as close 1-1/16 as possible. Now the amount of powder was an interpolation between the amount given for 1 oz and 1-1/8 loads but not to the third decimal point as some on this forum would do. Thanks for your answers. Ken

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Shot bushings from Manufacturers are listed for soft shot, or chilled shot, depending on which manufacturer, and who you ask. They will all throw lighter charges of hard or magnum shot in any press. Same with powder bushings. They play it safe, so no matter how you operate your press, you are not going to throw more than the bushing table says.

I have many shot bushings. If I looked hard enough, I might even find one I haven't modified yet. For example, the bushing I opened up to .648" I.D. throws an average of 493gr of West Coast Magnum #7 1/2 shot. Naturally, #8 shot requires a slightly smaller I.D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.