1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TO HOARD, A SIGN OF THE TIMES!!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    Recently I decided i would like to get back into reloading. i realize with the small amounts of componets that i can purchase, that i most likely won't save to much money or none at all. but with me being on unemployment, & recovering from my recent stint to the hospital, it would give me something to do. the last time i reloaded was 20 years ago. years ago, the local gun club would allow you to purchase a target box of mixed hulls for $3.00 per carton, you did your own sorting of shells. i am sorry to say that things have changed. i asked a local club owner how much for a carton of hulls? she said not to many people reload anymore, so they are free. i asked where are the free hulls, and she said, one of the club members took every carton of free hulls that they had. i said what about the other members, she said i guess he didn't think about anyone else but himself. so i go to our state shoot, i ask the club president the same question, he said they are free take them if you want them. i shoot a practice round and after shooting the trap boy has 2 cartons of empty hulls next to his chair. i ask him if i could have a carton for reloading? he said no, one of the shooters is taking every carton he can come up with. i go down the line, and i am told the samething by each trap boy or girl. i don't know if it was the same person, or different shooters, i don't know if they are paying the pullers to keep the shells for them or not. so i decide to purchase some supplies at the shoot, and i find out that you can only purchase a 1000 primers at a time. i have never heard of that before, found it interesting. i purchase small amounts, so no big deal. i look around for another vender that sells componets every year and they are not at the shoot. someone told me, they didn't come to the shoot because they had no reloading componets to sell. people are hoarding, and business is very good. i start asking fellow shooters if they are hoarding componets and everyone that i asked said, hell yes. i asked how many primers do you have? most were anywhere bewteen 15,000 to 30,000. same for shot, wads, powder etc. in 40 years of shooting, i have never seen shooters, not care about each other, most i talked to, care only about themselves. maybe it's the sign of the times. i am very disapointed in the present state of the way things are going. i thought we were better than this.
    steve balistreri

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why not if you have the money?

I have been buying more components than I presently use, so my stockpile keeps growing. One day, I'll stop buying and use it all or sell it at a profit, whichever comes first.

I'm still shooting new shells too, which I purchased in bulk when the Estates & Top Guns were $28.00 per flat (still have approx. 100 flats remaining).

I adhere to the adage of: "Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have."

Curt

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's part of the "me first" "I got mine" attitudes that is seen in difficult times like these. Ammo and reloading shelves are empty in stores as people grab anything they can as a "just in case". Get used to it, it's not going to change anytime soon.

Eric

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm hoping supply will catch up to demand and components will be readily available again. But if the stock piling continues, who knows. Dave T.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm a pretty decent guy, will do damn near anything for anyone, can get along with most anyone and generally like most people. I don't play that "I don't care about you or anyone else" B/S just because I may store up more components than I did 15 or 20 years ago. You tell me the answer, you give me the solution to your recent findings. I DON'T have 30,000 primers or 250 bags of shot or 150 lbs. of powder but, I wish I did. Like you I'm feeling the economic pinch due to my work situations. I can't begrudge a guy who can buy more components at one time than I can go in a buy. I can't controll that. Buy what you need to get started and roll like everyone else. I don't have a major hourding going on, buy what you can afford, reload what you can, shoot as much as you can. Don't get hung up in all the B/S going around. Don't let it stress you out. Shoot and reload to get away from all that B/S.

The situation you encountered with the hulls, don't worry about it. There are plenty of them out there. You'll be in the right place at the right time and will get more than you ever thought you would have gotten. Settle on reloading a couple of hull types and let some of the junk hulls lay there. Those days of finding premium hulls laying around are long gone. Most of what I see laying are crap not worth reloading.

6. steele

steele TS Member

SS, Provide a shipping address on an e-mail & I'll send you some empty hulls.

Butch

7. steele

steele TS Member

How about now

8. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Good for you, Butch! If SS needs more, I'll pick some up when I'm shooting. Can you reload Remington Gun Club OK? Guess you mean 12ga.

Bill

9. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Steve-I'm betting on things will be better next year. I hope so because I not only have trap components to buy but also a bunch of rifle supplies for prairie dogging. My pistol components are going to be down by then also. Eventually the suppy will catch up to the demand and availability and prices should be back to normal. I hope with 2010 being mid-term elections the Dems loose some seats and this big cloud we have over us starts to break up some.

Joe

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

SS, shoot a PM if the Win. Orange WT12 or 12 ga. Windjammer Wads fit into your reloading plans.

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

If all the hoarders gather up everything available then it will be just the hoarders shooting against themselves. Will clubs be able to survive with just the selfish few on the line? Better to share and have others to shoot with then to have all the goods and no place and no one to shoot with. JRM

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

perga1, you nailed it with your post! However, I really believe that many of the greedy hoarders are really not very active shooters so they don't care who is left to shoot.......they will be home rolling in their powder & primers. Then when they pass their heirs will sell all their hoarded treasure to the first guy who comes along for a few bucks just to "get all this junk out of the way". LOL

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

butch-thanks for the offer, but all i will do is purchase some new shells and use the empties for reloading. today is my birthday, i am 58 years old. as a kid in the late 50's and 60's, life seemed much nicer, and generally people seemed to treat and care about each other better. life goes on, i hope things get better.
    steve

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Senor smoke, you are right on about it being a kinder generation back in the 50-60's.

I call this generation, the "in your face" generation.

At least it seems like it to me.

Hauxfan!

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

In other words: "Instant Gratification is not soon enough."

Eric

16. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"... i am 58 years old. as a kid in the late 50's and 60's, life seemed much nicer, and generally people seemed to treat and care about each other better. life goes on, i hope things get better." (senior smoke)</blockquote>
    <center>and...</center>
    <blockquote>"... I call this generation, the "in your face" generation." (Hauxfan)</blockquote>

Seems like every mature individual remembers his/her generation as being kinder/nicer/fairer than the present one... kinda like this:

<blockquote><I>"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."</I></blockquote>

<center>and again...</center>

<blockquote><I>"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"</i></blockquote>

The first quote appears in Plato's Republic: Book 4 and is attributed by him to the Greek philosopher Socrates (469-399 BC); the second quote is by Plato (428-348 BC) himself.

It has, and will, always be so!

Carol Liister

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I don't think the hourding or shortage(s) situation is everywhere. O.K. the hourding could be everywhere, the components, it may be regional situations. At least in the shotshell reloading components I'm buying. I ran into trouble buying Hodgdon Clays in 8 lb. containers and had my name on a waiting/want list for 4 months before I got it but, I just bought 8lbs. of Clay Dot in its place. Reloads the same. Found that to be a positive. Now I have more powder around than I ever had before.

What does the average Joe Schmo (myself), regular basis, shoot for the fun of it shooter, shoot in one year? 4,000 - 7,000 rounds? Thats less than (2) cases of components a year based on 5000 per case components (ex. primers, wads etc.). To have components on hand to reload 5,000 - 10,000 to me doesn't seem unreal. Not squat in the full schyme of things. For a big time shooter (in my opinion) 20,000 - 25,000 +/- rds/yr., to have a years worth of components stored does not seem unreal. If a guy shot (1) flat of shotshells a year and had components stored around like that, than that's hourding.

I've seen the situation that revolves around the centerfire components and centerfire factory ammo. I don't know how deep it goes, probably deeper than I'm aware but, it appears to be around the pistol ammos. I refuse to panic buy. I know guys that have bought more ammo than they will shoot in (5) lifetimes. They don't shoot that much or on any regular basis and some don't even belong to a club to shoot it anyway. But, to each his own. I can see where this kind of buying is an inconvienience to the shooting sportsmen. I know guys at my club who are big pistol shooters and DCM shooters and they are feeling it.

18. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Carol, I know where your trying to come from with your post. I think the disrespect thing is not a big part of the issue. I mean no disrespect to any of the posts. I value any opinion. I've held the highest respect for anyone I shot with. I don't know you guys but hold the most respect for you and your opinions because we are target shooters and have that in common. I'm a middle aged guy who is young at heart. No one is going to take my hunting, shooting or fishing away from me. My family, upkeeping my house and my outdoor pass times are in that lifes order for me. But, the life that SOME of these misdirected young people live, has no bearing on hourding of shotshell components. These street misfits have no bearing on a shortage of case of Fed. 209A primers. These misfits have no interest in the clay games. They have no idea what they even are. The younger kids I've ran into at Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays were a treat to be around. Good kids with good folks. Some of the folks are not even shooters. I'm lucky my two girls are grown and through college, a big time struggle but worth it. I'm lucky, some are not so lucky. That all starts at home though.

19. Alamo

Alamo Member

Senior Smoke,
    If myself and 3 or 4 other shooters go in together to buy enough components to get a "bulk price" from a supplier, does that make us hoarders? Usually, you will have one person in this group who will put the deal together and collect from the others. He is the "hoarder" who you see or hear of buying a lot of components for himself. Estimate your annual shooting needs and then multiply it 4 or 5 times and it is probably an impressive amount of components. I suggest you locate like minded shooters in your area and go in together to get your component prices down.

As far as shells are concerned, I can pick up cheap Gun Club hulls all day long but, if I want STS hulls they will cost me 5 to 7 cents apiece. Just a fact, quality hulls are not free and I am not sure if they ever were. There probably are a few hoarders on this website but, most people here do take a great interest in their fellow shooters. The shortage of components is not the fault of shooters collectively or individually but, domestic and international conditions beyond our mere mortal control.
    Larry Hancock

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Very good, Carol.

This from an old quote.........The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.