1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To... hit the mother load........

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

If you have a Dremal tool you can make the best shell opener and save your fingers at the same time... Here goes...............

Get a 1" X 6" X 14" board

At one end of the board place a good size blob of body filler. ( Bondo )

While the filler is still soft cover it with a piece of plastic wrap.

Push the Dremal tool into the covered filler and let it set up..about 15 Min. Be sure on-off switch is in up position.

Put two eye hooks on each side of tool and strech heavy rubber bands over tool to hold down.

Get a diamond wheel and arbor to fit tool .... Harbor fright $4.00 bucks or any of the box stores. Home Depot and the like

Place a shell ( brass end toward blade ) so that the blade just goes through the shell between the wad base cup and the pettles of the wad. Aprox 1"

Nail down wood stops so each shell goes in the same. One piece at the top one piece approx. 1" past the blade.

Place an empty shell box behind the blade to catch the grindings from the shells.

Turn on the Dremal and rotate the shell all the way around pushing it tight to the blade. You should be able to cut a sheel apart in about 5 sec.

Cut a box,25 and than twist the shell to seperate pull the wad, shot and top half of case off. Dump powder, pull wad from top half remove primer. To do 25 shells takes about 6 min.s with no sore fingers.

If you build one of these and take it to your club you will have everyone that sees it work building one. Make it a Saturday project at the club and split the cost of wood and Bondo.. Good Luck Bernie K

2. ctreay

ctreay Member

Thats good, but, he wants to save the hulls!

ctreay

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Or you could get one of these beauties and be done with it. Gary Bulley's "Unloader" is 2nd to none!!! Hulls are cheap. The hulls are the only thing wasted using this one. I even reuse the wads for my practice shells although they would probably be fine for all my shells. Best of all the blade is held inside the machine making it safe to handle. I finally changed my blade after several years of mistakes. Gary send me replacement blades free of charge. Not only is his "Unloader" great but his customer service is even better.

grntitan_2009_2503126.jpg

4. psfive

psfive Member

I'll second the vote for the UNLOADER by Gary Bulley!
    (nice pic of that Unloader)

As I see it The Unloader works without needing to be plugged into the wall, makes no noise, absolutly no assembly required.

And best of all it's pretty enough to be setting on the dining room table. I'll bet you won't say that about the one listed above. Paul in Nebraska.

5. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Try cutting 10,000 shells like he said he had and then tell me how well that thing works. I know 3 guys that bought them and used them once they now are paper weights. It's your fingers. Bernie

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Some people shouldn't use a screwdriver either. Just say'n.............

7. psfive

psfive Member

I have set down and unloaded over 400 in one setting. I still have all my fingers. I do recall not having any problems at the time. That was some time ago and I'm still using the same blade.

Why would anyone have 10,000 shells that needed opening? And then why would anyone unload them all at once?

Bernie K
    I would like to see what this contraption actually looks like. Can you post a picture?

Paul in Nebraska.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use a bandsaw and rotate the shell, cut the hull between powder cup and shot cup, if you are good you save the wad, shot, powder, and then press out the primer in a loader in the deprime station. I usually do this in small quantities on shells where the charge bar hangs up on Mec Loader, they should use a heavier spring on that bar return.

I try to watch the bar when I can, sometimes shot will embed in the plastic on the shot drop and cause drag on the charge bar.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Why would someone have even 400 to open? That's a bunch of mistakes.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have opened hundreds of 'mistakes' using my pocket knife or a utlitiy razor. Plenty quick but I have shed blood a few times also. The UNLOADER tool as shown above is THE TOOL for the job. I don't know how Gary Bulley is able to sell them for the prices he does but they are a bargain to say the least. In addition to being nice to work with and look at, they are a safe tool to use as well. Can't say the same about my pocket knife or somebody's band saw or Dremel tool.

11. psfive

psfive Member

Mine were not mistakes,they were given to me. The giver was not sure of the load except that they were 1-1/4 oz. I did not need them for hunting, not legal for trap and they packed a punch on the recoil end. So the Unloader came into play and we opened them all up to save components. That is why someone would have over 400 to open. Paul in Nebraska.

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I use needle nose pliers but am going to get one of Gary's unloaders, just in case.

13. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

psfive, will try to get someone to post photo for me. Bernie

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

An industrial paper cutter serves well too. Just not "wad" friendly. You can get the shot and primer in seconds. You can also lose a finger if you rush it. PVC cutter works also. I don't have too many to take apart, unless someone gives me a bucket of their "Pet" loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.