1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Follow Through Or Not, That is The Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Laserwizard, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

So many times you hear someone say "I missed that hard right because I didn't follow through".

I'm curious how many believe in the follow through after squeezing the trigger vs those that stop swinging the gun after squeezing the trigger (or releasing it).

I personally come from the school that once you've heard the report, the shot has left the barrel, therefore follow through doesn't have any impact.

What do you believe?

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Follow through without a doubt. Yes, the shot has left the barrel but lack of follow through can get you lazy and have you shooting behind the bird. Jackie B.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Do you stop yoru golf swing as soon as the club face has hit the ball? No, of course not. If you do, it's going to be a bad shot.

Follow through on the target as though you are going to shoot at it again.

I sometimes will follow a chip to the ground.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I believe I would like to know what your average is from the 16 yd., honestly? Then I can tell you what I really believe. Jon

5. missed some

missed some TS Member

I cant think of a sport you dont follow through

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

How about hammering nails? :) Mark

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

Lookin at my house somebody followed through. i can tell by the slight dent. but not rally a sport around here

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

When I was just starting to shoot trap following through made me be a smoother shooter. Now that I have been shooting a while I tend to just pull the trigger and I have near a 98 ATA average so something seems to work. Do what works best for you and report back in a couple years.

9. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I keep swinging until I see the target break.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sounds like if you have to ask the question you don't know what you are talking about. Shoot your way and lose or follow through and have a chance at winning.

Don

11. windyflat

windyflat Member

I stay in the gun for a second after the shot but I do not keep swinging.
    If I miss one IMO it's because I didn't look directly at it.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

It's not so much the actual follow-through as it is making sure the gun is moving on the same path and speed as the bird, otherwise we have a tendency to slow down and-or stop our swing. Then LOST.... So yes it's important...Ross Puls

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I was told to follow thru. Follow a chip to the ground to verify my cheek is still on the stock. Although, when I was at a Phil Kiner clinic last year, I was the ONLY ONE doing so I felt kinda funny. Dave T.

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Keep your focus on the bird till it breaks..What happens after that does not matter very much.....SMOKIT

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It may feel like you are taking the barrel right after you actually pass up the bird and follow through, but I guaranty you are passing the bird after the shot, and are following through the bird even if it is a split second after. This may happen if you are a fast shooter. No follow through will lead to cheek coming off the gun, which will lead to a miss, guaranteed. It is hard to be lucky in trap, because there are no good bounces.

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Y'all,

You always follow through,you may not realize it,but you do.

Yes,you can spot shoot birds with very little,or no gun movement.......more like a timing shot,but you'll miss more than you'll hit over the long haul(there are exceptions especially on first shot doubles).

Following through with the swing is only a matter of inches at the muzzle end of a shotgun.

If I don't follow through,I'm stoppin' my gun,and shootin' behind those little orange disk thingies. JMO

D.P.Reynolds

17. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

The damn gun just kicked the crap out of my shoulder so I throw it down as soon as possible..SMOKIT

18. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Didn't expect that,did ya?

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What Ross said...If you're doing everything right when you get to the bird and pull the trigger, following through just naturally happens. You don't even have to think about. I think stopping your swing would be an unnatural feeling. Do that with live birds and you go home hungry. JMO

Wayne

20. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

follow thru is the opposite of snap shooting.both can work if youre in the groove.
    anybody will tell you not to shoot a "dead" gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
is there fo follow through in trap shooting

trap follow thru