1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Choke or not to choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hobdayk, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobdayk

hobdayk TS Member

Ok , not sure but figure I would ask for opinions ,

I ended up with a browning model 12 28ga, factory choked at modified,

I also came into a complete pachmayr powerpac choke system in the box for a 28 gauge..

Questions are ... should I put the choke on the browning so maybe I could get some use out of it with the different choke tubes?

Are there any issues with the powerpac choke system and cup wads ?

Would it completely destroy any value the little browning has ?

or should I just live with it the way it is ?

2. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Unless it was a collectable higher grade or special run, I would send it to carlsons for a set of extended chokes. Runs around 150 shipped. Then shoot the crap out of it!

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with the modified barrel? Granted that is a bit much for skeet but for everything else it is about right. So unless you really wanted a skeet gun I would leave it alone.

If you really want choke tubes then send the barrel off to an outfit that specializes in that work (Briley, Carlsons, ...) The thing about choke tubes is they don't make you shoot better they just give you something else to fiddle around with and make excuses about.

4. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I'd leave it alone. Shoot it the way it is.

Jason in PA

5. hobdayk

hobdayk TS Member

I appreciate the comments , I think that wolfram had it right as it is somthing to make an excuse about or something to fiddle with ,

truth be known I like the idea of taking it out and shooting the heck out of it , but thought it would be fitting to have a period choke on it rather then the new style inserts, just a way to raise a few eyebrows,

I wish I had a Cutts for it But Have not been able to find one for it.

has anyone heard of issues with the powerpac ?

6. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Nice clean little gun that everyone loves...mod choke will do nearly everything.

It'd would be a shame to mess it up...wouldn't touch it if I owned it. Too many rough guns to be had for that kind of thing.

Just my 2 cents..
    Regards..Stan..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pachmayr powerpac choke tubes