1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Brian In Oregon

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thanks for answering my question I had on here about the gas collar on an 11-87. I know you know alot about remington automatics. I have a problem because I bought a spare 11-87 forearm that was unfinished from Boyds. It came oversized. It will fit on the gun without the gas collar but not with it. It's very hard to get anything in that channel to cut it down so I have been sanding for 2 days and it still won't fit. It's an xtra in case I'm at a shoot and the forearm cracks or breaks on my 11-87 (had that happen) so it won't be used that much probably. So can I use it without the gas collar or can I put some other kind of seal on there instead. Thanks

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well.... a couple of thoughts about this....<br>
    <br>
    If the forend and barrel are tight when the mag tube cap is screwed down, and there's no play, then the shield is not needed as a shim.<br>
    <br>
    As for the gas impinging on the wood, I do not know what the long term effects of that would be. The 1100 dumps hot gasses into its forend without problems. The 1187 with heavy loads dumps gas directly onto the wood itself, not into an open area. On the other hand, light loads are insufficient to lift the gas spring (band) off of its seats, so all discharged gas would be the same as the 1100. And if a target barrel is used, there is no gas spring at all.<br>
    <br>
    So, speaking for myself, I'd probably just shoot it. I might, though, put a good coat of sealer inside to make cleanup of gas soot and carbon a bit easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.