1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To blue or not to blue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tally, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tally

Tally TS Member

Everyone, I recently acquired fro my late mother=in=law's estate a k frame S&W 18-3 .22 caliber revolver. Nice little gun with a wonderful trigger. It appears to be in fine shape except for holster wear and a small ding at the edge of one of the wood grips.

I took it out to the club last Wednesday to try it out on the pistol range. While there I let a few trapshooting buddies take a look at it. I mentioned that I was thinking about having it reblued. We have a gunsmith in the area that does great rebluing work. Everyone there was doubtful that that was a good idea. The consensus being that it would reduce the value of the piece. These are all people whose opinions I respect.

So, would anyone like to weigh in on this issue?

Thanks

Tally

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Changing the finish on a gun, even just to a fresher version of the same finish, devalues it in the eyes of a collector. But in the eyes of a gun owner who wants a gun to shoot and enjoy, it makes the gun more attractive. Which camp are you in?

S&W revolvers like yours - made when forged parts were used and before the dreaded internal locks became standard equipment - have a higher collector value than the newer ones and the K-frame 22 rimfire models are slightly more valuable than the centerfires, for some reason. But if you want to use the gun as a shooter, I'd have it reblued as long as the new finish is exactly like the original one.

That's not always a guaranteed thing. I inherited a Colt Official Police .38 Special from my father that had some bluing wear. I had it reblued and it came back to me wearing a matte finish instead of a glossy one like it originally had. If you have seen work the person you are considering using has done and it is satisfactory, go for it.

Ed

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Heck, a factory reblue is likely the best idea? Call Smith and Wesson. That's what I did for an older Model 52 Smith I have and all is well and documented by the factory.

David

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whats wrong with leaving it as it is? Shows a little character and you dont have to be as careful or worried about it?

True we arent talking a heirloom but just enjoy shooting it

Gene

5. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Wipe some oxpho blue on the bare areas,otherwise a genuine smith factory finish will not degrade it, except for the purists,and wtf- they demand nib anyways..

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you do decide to have it re blued, use Glenrock in Wyoming. They do absolutely superb work

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Like Gene said, those are character marks, show them with pride. You won't likely get the same finish as S&W put on it. Probably more black than blue. I wouldn't think about it unless they could duplicate the original finish, guaranteed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.