1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To blue or not to blue?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Outdoors Junkie, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

I have purchased a 1977 BT-99 in really great shape! It has the blueing wore off the trigger guard and a small place on the receiver from handling . It has two barrels a 32" with thin wall Briley choke tubes and a 34" with fixed full choke. The barrels are perfect the wood is Deluxe Cherry adjustable stock and Cherry forearm.
    Should I blue the receiver and trigger guard ? If I do will I have to blue the barrels to match? I know a gunsmith that does a great job on bluing. I like for my firearms to look new. I know it doesn't make them shoot any better. Will it hurt the value of the gun?also it has two brass weights in the forearm were these from the factory? It does not have the style forearms like the new BT-99's.
    Will this gun shoot high? I have read the old BT's shot high.
    Whew, I think that's enough questions.
    Thanks James

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If done professionally, it won't hurt the value at all. In fact it will likely raise the value. That gun although a great shooter and probably one of the sought after higher shooters, is not a collectors item. No worry about degrading its value by rebluing. I would recommemend having the whole gun done rather than just certain pieces. I would make sure whoever does the bluing does it to match the original bluing. JMHO

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Shoot it for a while before forking over the money to have it re-blued. If it performs well for you then by all means invest in what makes you happy. No sense having a pretty safe queen and it is unlikely you could re-sell it for enough to recover your investment.

Robert

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The functionality of blueing is to protect the steel from further oxidation. Us gun guys really admire a good blueing job but in reality it doesn't effect the gun's performance. You said you like your guns to look like new so there is your answer - go out and get a top shelf complete re-blue.

If the the re-blue adds to the resale value of the gun it probably will be less than what you will have in the shop bill but who cares - what is important is that you like the gun.

As to the gun being a very high shooter - you need to determine that for yourself. If the gun shoots where you look then it is good for you and worth investing in the cosmetic work. If it is way too high then maybe this isn't going to work out and not worth the effort to make it right for you.

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If you could post a picture it would help. You should be able to have the trigger guard blued quite reasonably but the receiver is another thing because you have to completely dissemble the receiver to blue it. I would figure about $30 for the trigger guard and about $125-150 for the trigger guard receiver and forend iron.
    Joe

6. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

Thanks I plan on shooting reg birds with it soon. I like the way it feels. I had an older Perazzi TM1 and traded it. It would kick the piss out of you. I never could shoot it well. I am not a real serious shooter but like to compete at a local club and shoot reg targets for fun.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

+1 RobertT

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Most of the early Bt99s were flat shooters.

9. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I recently reblued an old remington rifle and I am totally satisfied with the job I have done the gun shoots the same and it also looks as new as my 2010 Wingmaster.

No complaints on my reblueing an old gun job...

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Usually when comparing "kick characteristics" of a BT-99 and a TM-1 most opinions I have heard, mine included, feel the BT-99 to be the worst offender. Probably just a matter of proper gun fit. I agree with most of the above. If you like the gun, make it the way you want it. Cost to do so should not break the bank. Pride in the gun will be worth it. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.