1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Bead Or Not To Bead

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I put glow-worm beads on all my guns and I've never shot better. I plan to use them forever.

Neil

2. flylta

flylta TS Member

I have always left the stock beads on the barrel and just ignore them after I get comfortable with the gun.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I think it depends on if you are a sight shooter that tracks the target or an instinctive shooter that reads the the target path and moves the gun to intercept and track the path. I am the latter and don't even have beads on my gun.

If I close my left eye, I can clearly see the relationship between my rib and the target. But with both eyes open, I just see the target and move the gun where I know it is going.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use the small 2 mm diameter Uni-Dot with the crossfire preventer channel. Once I got used to the fiber optic bead, I never looked back at the gun. I got rid of my center bead and avoid the stupid figure 8 thing when I mount the gun. I can use the front bead only and without looking for it.

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I shot most of the summer without a bead at all. My 2007 season began with a real chance of making AA, but last spring, I started missing a lot. There were many times I could not make the "invisible". My season ended instead of making AA, I made class B. Taking the bead off did not hurt nor did it help my problem.

But for doubles, I have used one of those very bright look through the pipe kinds instead of a front bead (for years) and I shot the doubles decent last season. I have no idea why the bead bothered me on one gun but that really bright red sight on the doubles gun did not bother me at all.

So I really think my problem was gun fit related. I wanted to shoot a higher POI but the singles gun did not have an adjustable comb. So toward the end of the season, I got a new stock for the gun and set it up the way I liked and put the bead back on the gun as well. All is OK again. PS - I would not have a problem with taking the bead off again. The gun went back to being invisible.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

otnot (Jim), the highly visible spot on the barrel end is to be used with your peripheral vision as it passes the target. That, regardless of whether it's a bead or light pipe. PS, I tried calling you and left a couple messages on your cell? Sorry I missed you at Tucson. Hap

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i once saw joe devers win a box bird shoot with an old beat up looking model 12 with a wide broadway rib and no beads.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is not a single answer to this question that will work for everyone. My front sight is green and it will glow in sunshine.

With a shotgun, the eye and the front bead are the two reference points that must align with the target. The focus must be on the target but these two reference points must align with the target. Many successfully just use the end of the barrel as the front sight, but many do not. More experienced shooters tend to use the front sight less than newer shooters.

Pat Ireland

9. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

You have to see the target too hit the target ! checking beads is after you have found target , taking your eyes off target and trying to get back on quickly to see if things are linedup before shooting , ends in a miss usually for me .

Pat Kelley

10. nicky

nicky Member

For a nice option look into Chris Vendel's custom front beads. They are a smaller diameter then the standard ones (approx. the size of a mid bead) and he has them in either the standard style or a two piece style with a machine screw through the top. I put the two piece style on my Kolar and love it. CRV Custom Arms phone 585-482-0044

11. Hap MecTweaks

We'll do that Jim.

Pat K., you should never take your eyes off the target. Hone in on the leading edge and use your peripheral vision to know the bead/no-bead/rib/barrel has passed by the target. Hap

12. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

HAP Mec Tweaks

I for the most part I dont see any barrel when I shoot . If you are seeing barrel bead rib your beading targets . Set your gun-up so you see targets clearly . Thats what spacers are used for .Forget about barrel after you mount gun . Dont ever look back JUST THE TARGET !You will never be long yardage if you bead you will be short yardage always . every 1000 reviews .20 yard

Pat Kelley

13. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

HAP Mec Tweaks

I for the most part I dont see any barrel when I shoot . If you are seeing barrel bead rib your beading targets . Set your gun-up so you see targets clearly . Thats what spacers are used for .Forget about barrel after you mount gun . Dont ever look back JUST THE TARGET !You will never be long yardage if you bead you will be short yardage always . every 1000 reviews .20 yard

Pat Kelley

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think it's important to pick up the bird/bead picture, during that instant of impact. How else does one know what they are doing, right or wrong? I always see that flash or picture of the bird/bead relationship.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Maybe I did it all wrong, earned the 27 in 76, for 25 years till neck/back arthritis hindered my shooting abilities. Hmmm Hap

16. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

I've always used the eraser off a number 2 pencil taped to the end of the barrel via electrical tape. If targets are going high reduce height of eraser by cutting in two and reattach. If really low targets, add an additional eraser atop exisiting one.

17. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Hap

You better than me ! I may start beading birds then . Phil Kiner took magic marker at Clinic blackened everyones bead to begin with so you dont see the bead . Just the target . But whatever works for a shooter he should do just that .

Pat Kelley

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

otnot.......Colored beads should NOT distract your eyes from the target. You should,of course, be looking at ONLY the target. You have to train your eyes to do that. Beads ARE necessary, but not for shooting[only for obtainig the correct POI]....not if the POI and gunfit are correct......and the gun is mounted properly for every shot.

19. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

close your eyes and mount the gun. then open your eyes and you should be looking right down the rib if your stock fits properly.you really should not need either rib or beads.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

fearlessfain- Your system will work well if you are able to mount your gun exactly the same way 300 times in an afternoon. I can't do that. I need to use a quick bead check before I focus my concentration to where the bird comes out. Also, I can't even focus my concentration on where the bird should come out of the house. My mind drifts to other things.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dont bead check