1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To All - wondering about timing of deals

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gabe, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe

Gabe Member

This is an edit----Please see my post further down. It might explain what I'm trying to say better. Thanks-----I know there has been allot of buying and selling on Trapshooters. So I was wondering how long everyone considers a decent or fair amount of time has to go by to say I've waited long enough for this person to respond to my offer to sell him what he is looking for, I'll go ahead and sell it to someone else. Do you all consider 1 hour to be long enough, 6, 10, 24, 48? Conversely what's too long. Just wondering. Thanks. Gabe

2. glenns

glenns Member

Is there any priority to replying to a sale thread:

1. Reply to the thread
    2. Email
    3. Private message?

Any protocol - e.g. if you send an email should you also notficy via the thread?

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i think 24 hrs-- if they really want it - then they'll check in on it!-- some people dont do or understand P.M.s or dont check regular emails nearly as often as they shud?-- it seems like the more i sell on here, the calmer i get on slow responses!!

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If someone expressed interest and you made an offer, obviously you can withdraw the offer before acceptance at ANY time. However, I once contacted a poster here, accepted an offer by PM, and the owner wanted another confirmation... well I work and can't spend my day checking email.

To compound my situation, he had some arbitrary time cut-off and because I couldn't respond, he sold the item to someone else... his prerogative, I suppose.

If you're a gentleman, give the person a fair amount of time to respond to your offer/inquiry/confirmation... at least the next day, to have a chance to open your contact, while also providing an opportunity to respond... be a "Mensch".

regards all,

Jay

5. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I go along with the 24 hr. time frame.

I consider that to be a reasonable amount of time.

Regards, Pete

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'll buy it. Talk to yo on Wednesday

7. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

If some one post they are looking for something and a seller email a message that he has one he need to give a guy time to respond say 12 to 24 hours before he lets some one that is looking at the wanted post and try's to buy it out from under the poster. Remember a man is only as good as his word. thanks Ronnie

8. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I have somewhat learned to accept as fact, that the word of 90% of online buyers means absolutely NOTHING! Depending on the item, I do not consider any item sold until I receive a phone call from the buyer confirming the payment/shipping details. I still get the occasional payment that never shows up, but this method seems to work a little better for me. I also appreciate the people who request 20 more detailed pictures and do not have the common courtesy to respond at all. Online is a great way to offer your item to more potential buyers, but nothing beats a face to face deal.

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I gotta disagree with the last post at least with buyers or sellers associated with this site.I have bought,sold and traded a fair amount of stuff on here including guns with no problem and responders have been good to their word with prompt reliable payment or shipping of goods.Jerry

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with Jerry....nothing but good when buying or selling on TS.com!

11. maka

maka Member

I have also purchased several items with no problems. Everyone I have dealt with were great to do buisness with.

12. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Easy guys. Every transaction I have ever completed on here has been great. I just hate exchanging 100 pictures and emails only to have the potential buyer disappear off the face of the earth, or tell me his wife won't let him buy it, or that he would buy it if he had the money. Why do these people even inquire if they have no means of purchasing? I feel these people cost other potential buyers opportunities to purchase an item. I apologize if I upset anyones apple cart, just offering my opinion to the original topic.

13. Gabe

Gabe Member

Thanks for all the replies. I think some probably don't understand what I'm wanting to say though. Let me try one more time. You read a post that someone wants to buy (say as an example) a forend for a certain gun. You have what he's looking for so you post back that you have it and he can have it for x amount of dollars. It takes this person say 5 or 6 hours to get back with you, because he's working, at a shoot or what ever. In the meantime people read the post and see it's a good price so they email or pm the seller saying they will go ahead and buy it now. The person that originally put up the WTB post comes in 6 hours later checks for any replies to his original post and emails the guy saying I'll take it. The guy that said he had it emails back saying sorry I already sold it. I waited 5 hours and you never replied. What I'm wanting to know is how long do you consider an adequete lenth of time would be to wait for the guy that originally made the post to get back with you before you move on and sell it to the next guy. Hope this clears up the first post. I started to get confused too. Even though some of you knew what I meant to say. Thanks again.

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have had nothing but good luck buying on the forum. I did think the Post Office had lost my money order on my last deal because it took a little longer to get there than I thought it should but I wasn't worried too much. I sent it registered mail and had the money order receipts.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is not much of a problem on a couple rifle forums I go to.

the Rule for a buyer (and you state so when offering to sell something) is to post "I'll take it" on the forum itself. Jumping in with PM's, emails, all that is not a good thing.

So if you want my goods post "I'll take it" and I will PM you with my address to send funds.

If you send a a PM to someone note it on the main forum. Don't discuss offers, trades, all that unless it's part of to the posting.

A little courtesy goes a long way. If you want to hijack someone's deal post "PM sent" and go private with the rest. (not reccomended)

For the most part TS.com folks do a lot of business with very little snafus.

HM

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

whosyourdaddy I agree but if your going be selling stuff that is what you do . You post pictues you send more pictures you answer alot of question (some twenty times)and you talk to a buyer . It,s alot of stuff you need to do but it is all part of selling . Some buyers ask alot of questions and then just disappear but they may of bought and may next time .

I,v been lucky and have bought and sold to and with alot of nice people .

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Well... lets take that situation, the guy who has the "widget" makes an offer... while he can withdraw the offer before acceptance, in reality he should have notified the 1st party he was withdrawing the availability of the item... and per my earlier post, give the person a reasonable amount of time to respond.

The fact that the first party was the one who started the whole thing, should, ideally, have been given right of first refusal.

Having sold some items on Craig's List, my approach is FCFS and everyone gets in line... if the #1 doesn't buy it, then its #2's opportunity and so on... that's the way I do business.

regards all,

Jay

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

spitter, the question is how long do you wait for the first guy to respond? In the meantime 3-4 other potential buyers have contacted you and want the peice and will pay now.

There is no guarantee the first guy will take it, or even call you back. What if the first guy is working, off his computer, or shooting. Do you wait for him to respond?

19. Gabe

Gabe Member

Setterman pretty weel hit the nail on the head. How long do you give the first guy to respond to the second guy's offer. That is the $64000.00 question. Just wondering what the guy's on this forum think that would be. Thanks. Gabe

20. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Around 2 years ago.....I was selling a Remington 3200 on here and posted pics to go along with it. I was selling the gun for something like $1200.00. I had a guy call me and ask a gazillion questions about the gun. When I thought all the questions had been answered, here came another one. We spoke on the phone for 45 minutes. I thought it seemed rare, but I thought maybe this guy had never bought a gun over the internet. So, it didn't concern me. I gave him my address to mail check and FFL to. I had numerous attempts to sell this gun, but I told them it had been spoken for. A week and a half later, I had received no money of FFL. I called the guy and asked him about it. He told me that he had been working numerous hours of overtime, and hadn't been able to send it. I'm pretty flexible, so I asked him if he had a fax machine at his work. He told me yes, so I gave him my fax number. He told me FFL would be faxed in an hour and check was on the way. 2 years later, I still don't have a FFL or his check. I sold the gun the day after the fax didn't show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.