1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TMX Hammer Spring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdognorth, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

Not sure if the spring in my TMX is original or not(been shot a lot). I bought a spring from J & P thinking it might be good thing to have a spare. How is spring replaced? Should I do it now or wait for the old one to break? Is there a way to tell if it has weakened? It is coil spring.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Coil spring or leaf spring? HMB

3. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

It is a coil spring. I have been told they never break, they do break, they get weak etc.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I used to replace the coil spring every few years because they do get weaker. I now have a McDaniels leaf spring Release trigger and it is consistent but I did break one leaf spring.

5. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

do you simply drive the pin out of the hammer to replace the spring?

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The best way to remove the coil hammer spring is to compress the spring with a special tool that looks like a pliers with a "V" notch cut into each claw. The hammer stays where it is in the trigger assembly. When I needed a replacement coil spring I had a friend who had that special tool (home made I think) and it took him about 30 seconds to replace the spring. I didn't have any luck trying to do it with a regular needle nose pliers.

7. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Use a Tack Remover with the V modified with a round file to fit over the Hammer Spring Guid. This will allow you to easily compress the old spring for removel and the new one for install. Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.