1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TMX finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I recently acquired a well used TMX and the finish apparently was redone by an amatuer. The clearcoat has an orange skin look on it.
    My question is can I go over the existing finish and made it look like it should, or, do I have to strip it and refinish with tru-oil? Bulge

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am not a true oil fan, I like the high shine laquer but in either case not knowing what it has on it you run the risk of it wrinkling. Strip it!

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

I don't what finish was used but it sounds like it was sprayed on. If you don't want to completely strip it, takes some 400 grit wet sandpaper on a block and take off all of the high spots and then refinish from there.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Or, using 1200grit wet or dry paper and a little water, wet sand the finish. Be sure to use a small block behind the paper. Procede slowly, beacuse once you break through the finish you're done, and you'll have to refinish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.