1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

TMX Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom@eel, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

In the process of buying a late production TMX, have 2 others (early 80's proof) that have 14 posts on the ribs (gotta sell one if I buy this one). The new one has 17 posts with a '95 proof. Is this basically the same rib with additional posts? When were the last TMX's made? Thanks for any info on this. Tom
  2. G550

G550 TS Member

Tom

My 1982 TMX (AI stamp) is 34", has choke tubes, and has 17 posts including the front post but not the rear ramp.

RCH
  3. JACK

JACK Active Member

I do not have an answer for your question, but there were only 50 TMX made with ribs that were a higher POI. Around 100% as I recall. Only one has surfaced in the past 6 years I have been on the forum. Check yours out for POI. Yes those 50 were late guns and I think made on special order for Pacific Sporting.
  4. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Jack, do you believe that the higher POI accomplished by a more inclined rib slope, i.e. lower at the muzzle like the three different POI BT100's? Or.....maybe Pacific just hauled off and smacked the barrel on a stack of phone books. RCH....suppose I should have checked, my AH has 14 and my AI has 17....guess that kind of narrows it down. I'll check the barrel weights for a heavier 17. Thanks for the replies. Tom
  5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Active Member

I've owned several TMX's and just sold an early model TMX that has seventeen posts. The gun I still own is a TMX-S which also has seventeen posts, both are 34" barrels. I would imagine a 32" barrel would have fewer posts.

If John Herkowitz at Pacific Sporting Arms had Perazzi make a special run of high shooting TMX's he would be the one who can tell you how they differed from the standard TMX. I would call John and ask (626/633-1002) If John can't give you an answer, then I would call Lucio at Perazzi USA and ask him (626/945-7352). I would think between the two will you get your question answererd correctly.

Common sense says, to raise the poi on a TMX you would increase the rib taper from the breach forward to barrels muzzel which may require a higher rib to reach the desired poi.

All of the TMX's I have owned have been flat shooters 60/40 or flater.

Surfer
  6. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Thanks Surfer. I know I'm headed down that road to trivia, but WGAS. To really muddy the swamp, the stamped barrel weights are 1.540 for the 14 post and 1.520 for the 17 post, both are 34's. Go figure. I'll call the P guy's tomorrow and report back. As you were. Tom
  7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Active Member

Tom, as suggeted, you may measure the rib heights at both ends of the barrel and campare them against each other, may give you additional information.

Surfer
  8. G550

G550 TS Member

Tom, I just found my cy of Karl Lippard's book and he says the TMX was produced from 1981 through the date of the book (1994). I have some notes that indicate 1998 was the last year but not sure about that. BTW my bbl weight is 1.53kg.

RCH
  9. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

One of my TMX's has factory chokes, the other is fixed full. That probably accounts for the different weights. Tom
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.