1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TM1 vs. 90T

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I am interested an SBT in the 1500 to 2k range. I have shot a TM1 and was impressed, especially with the trigger. I also see the 90T is in roughly the same price range but have never had a chance to pick one up or fire it. I have heard it is a very solid piece that was mfg by a company other than Remington (not sure who, though) What are some of your opinions of the two....if you had to chose, which would you reach for?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Tm. No c-rings to break in the Perazzi trigger. Other than that toss a coin or pick the one that works and feels better for you.

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Barry, they're actually "E" clips and totally useless. Take them out and toss them, then they won't cause any problems. Mine have been gone for 10 years. I have both guns, but prefer the TM-1 only because it's lighter. The 90-T is a much stronger and more reliable gun made by Kolar.

Jersey, the 90-T weighs 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. more than the TM-1. It's the better gun IMHO if the weight is no issue for you. If you choose the 90-T, remove the "E" clips from the ends of the hammer and trigger pins and toss them. Also, insure the bbl. lug has been re-cut to 8 deg. and the forearm latch has been modified. Should you choose the TM-1, remove the ejector cocking rod from the receiver, label and store it. Also, keep an eye on breach face wear and the firing pin hole. If the hole gets out of round it will break the firing pin. If the trigger has a leaf spring keep a spare + the insertion tool.

Good shooting,

Buz

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Like Buz I agree the 90T is a great gun as is the TM1 it is the weight that is the difference if you can handle the weight the 90T is a brick s--- house. The weight does vary by the density of the wood but once mounted seems to lessen. Weight in the stock is ok for me make the gun seem faster. I do not have a 90T but do have 2 TM1's and like them very much but they are not as tough as a 90T IMHO several friends shoot them and they are shot a lot and tough as nails. Dough Breaker (spelling) is a gunsmith who worked for Kolar when they were made and knows them best I would call him he is well respected on here. I have never met him but heard nothing but good things and if you buy one he is the man.
    Buddy

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

A second for Doug Braker(GunDr)and the 90T.

6. Chris_H

Chris_H Member

I shot both off and on for a year and went back to the TM1. Always liked both but after shooting the 90T I personally liked the weight and "point-ability" of the Perazzi.

try and shoot both before you make a decision

-Chris-

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I shot one of the very first 90-T's. Don Maitland was working with Kolar & I used to go up there some. We happened to be shooting a small ATA shoot on the same squad & he loaned me his gun & took my TM-1 for a round. He wanted my thoughts as he was working with the development. They are very like the TM-1 Except the TM is more lively. If you do get a TM,consider the taper rib model. Much better than the wide rib Ithaca gun. I have owned 8-10 TM-1's & X's

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I own 2 90Ts - one fixed rib and I recently took delivery of my second, a nice HPAR (High Post Adjustable Rib) - both guns have had tune-ups and updates by Doug Braker.

Heavier than many, the gun help absorb recoil, but are a pleasure to shoot... as I dial into the HPAR, my fixed rib will eventually go on the block!

Perazzi is a fine firearm, but always wanted a 90T ever since I had the opportunity to shoot my buddy's...

Shoot them both - whichever works better for you is the one to buy!

Jay

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have shot both, the 90T was made by Don Mainland in Racine Wis. If memory serves me correctly, Don told me it was the first gun he designed using a computer. I have shot maybe 6 of them and each one smoked targets with authority. The gun is heavy, one nice feature, because the stock meets the receiver like a pump or semi auto, you can cast the stock very easy left or right. Most 90T's have the bluing off the receiver because the metal was hard and did not take to bluing real well. I live near Racine, so if the gun breaks I can just bring it there, that's a selling point for me personally.

TM 1- For some reason the TM1 feels more comfortable to me to shoot. I feel as though I have more control of the gun compared to the 90T. The TM1 is an older gun, alot of tournaments won with this gun. Don't know if parts are readily available. If it were me, if I could find a mint TM1 I would probably buy the Perazzi due to the name, it's history, the trigger, and resale value.

Steve Balistreri

10. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

thanks all, great info. Sounds like you can't really go wrong with either so long as they are in good mechanical order.

11. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

ive shot both a couple diffent tm-1s and both hpar 90ts and the regular gun. Both guns were wonderful guns, choked very tight and grinded targets.

like mentioned above the 90t is heavier, and make sure the updates were done.

but to answer your question i do have access to both guns and before i bought a new gun and had problems with my db81 i always pulled the tm1 out of the safe over the 90t. it just felt better to me.

12. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Both great guns. But to me the 90T is the hands down winner. Built to last. A little heavier but that takes out the recoil a lighter gun will give. Saves buying recoil devices and adding weight. The 90T is a life time gun. Shoot both if you can. A plus point for 90Ts you won't have to worry about springs much. I'm not really dissing TM's as they are great but not as great as a 90T IMHO. Made by Kolar in Racine for Remington. Yep it's American made.

Mike Sudz

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

how is the trigger comparison that Steve mentioned?

14. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

bigdogtx thats a good question. I use a release trigger made by Kolar it's great. I will say that I have have great TM 1 triggers too though. Both are removable. There have been people on TS that talk about clips coming loose on 90T's I don't know it has never happened to me and I have owned 3 and shot them alot. My wife also shot a 90T (115lbs soaking wet). A very comfortable gun to shoot. Recoil is really not an issue. Most but not all 90T's have a nominal bore of 745 from the factory and IMHO opinion that is an ideal bore.

Best, Mike Sudz

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Both are excellent guns.. but you can always add weight to a light one.. removing weight from a heavy one is often impossible..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar tm1

remington 90-t vs parozzi tm1