1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TM1 Locking Block install - WHAT A MESS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I posted this on the MIA thread on the new aluminum locking block, but thought it deserved its own thread.

I received a TM Special yesterday from a good friend and shooter living in KS. He just picked up the gun and called to say something just didn't feel right and before he shot it, he wanted me to check it out and install new springs and whatever looked like it needed it.

At first glance, it looked OK. The top lever was at 4:30, tang and wood, but when I operated it, it just wasn't right as Larry suggested.

The bluing was multicolored; like someone reblued a receiver that was case hardened, and didn't remove the case hardening coloration. Of course, this receiver was never case hardened, but that's what struck me as odd; lots of different variations of blues and purples.

Everything in the receiver that had any visibility was blued, and parts INSIDE were not too much, anyway. Receiver was probably not disassembled during the process - my guess.

Upon disassembly, I noticed it needed a new firing pin, but as I got further into the complete disassembly, I found this Action Block (locking block). I was blown away. Someone welded it back up, then ground it by hand on what looks like a bench frinder. Upon close inspection only one lug of the barrel had anything close to lock up. Glad Larry decided not to shoot it.

I quickly surfaced the action block on my special sander just to show the contrast of fresh surfacing versus the darker surfaces. Notice the front face of the block where I hit it with the belt sander; a completely uneven surface, and none of it is a 7ยบ.

Look for yourself, and sorry about typos...need to get off the cpu and get some work done.

[​IMG]

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Looks the quality of work you will get from obami care. LOL Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

locking block case hardening