1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TM1 Is an Impressive Gun!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I looked at a TM1 today and was very impressed with how it pointed and was very surprised at the quality of it's workmanship.I have seen many TM1's on the line shot mainy by the oldtimers( no disrespect)and have never considered owning one.The main thing that caught my eye is how well made they seem to be,in both workmanship and materials.The quality seems much better than the new P guns- ribs that rattle and the thin blueing they seem to have.

Are there any TM1 owners who can give a thumbs up on the gun?What is the better model to go after: coil or leaf spring trigger? Thanks

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

The TM1 is probably one of the best buys on the market today for a SBT. I prefer the leaf spring because they break when they get weak but the coil will just keep going forever. They maybe 30 years old but in 30 more years they will be be on the line breaking targets.

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

otnot,

I prefer the leaf spring because they break when they get weak but the coil will just keep going forever. ??

If the coil goes for longer time and keeps firing shells, why use a leaf that breaks frequently?

Just curious.

4. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Have a coil spring type TM1 I bought new in the spring of 75, only had the ejector replaced in 33 yrs. Oh just had the recoil pad changed, old one started dry-rot. Use to shoot real good, don't know what happened. Or perhaps it's the old gunner...Mike

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

Because the coil will weaken and slow down some what without you even knowing it. The leaf springs break when they weaken. I want the same lock time all the time. It's one of those personal things. LOL I replace all my leaf springs every year on my MX8 at the begining of the season. When you hand set the hammers after 20,000 rounds you can feel the springs getting soft compared to the spring that doesn't get used as much. Leaf springs break more often than coil.

6. don q

don q TS Member

TM-1's rule, ask Devi. I got mine in 1971 and had it gone throgh by Giacamo in 2001 just because I thought it was time. Nothing was really needed except the locking block was a little bit to the center. What a shooter. To bad I'm not that good. I shoot it twice a week. don q

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Two thumbs up. Never had the opportunity to land one in the boat and likely never will now......Bob Dodd

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Oh, YEAH!!! They ROCK. For me, anyway.

I am still learning a lot about this game. I'm starting my 3rd year now. I've shot my TM-1 for most of it (started with an 1100 Trap). It is the NICEST gun to point of any I've tried, and I've tried a lot of guns for fun. I'm sure that Mel would like to buy it back from me.

What I have observed is that people that can point accurately while being quick tend to like the light and fast guns, like the TM-1. People that need to slow down their swing tend to like the heavier guns. Now, that's not gospel...it's just what I have personally observed, and I'm new and still stupid, so don't take my word for it.

And I'm not that accurate yet, but I'm getting there. Like I said, I'm still learning.

9. howardc

howardc TS Member

Another two thumbs up!!

Mine is also vintage 1971. Over the years it's has some work....Kerry Allor backbored and re-choked the barrel in 1988, Don Carey installed a Carey Comb in 1989, and Mr. Bowen made the release trigger! For me the TM1 or an older Mono Gun is the way to go!

Howard

10. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

An oldie but a goodie. A classic for sure. A great step up when the trap bug bites. Easy to sell when the trap bug goes crazy. gyrine

11. recurvyarcher

Mine has a Rad recoil reducer, and adjustable comb (both done by Greg Hissem), and a Precision Gold release trigger (from Ray Stafford). It's been gone over a couple of times by Giacomo et. al.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

otnot, if spring tension is that important to you then don't just trust putting new springs in without testing. There is a difference in new ones.

13. dws

dws TS Member

TM1 and TM1 Special are great guns.... Excellent Dynamics and Point Ability.. and Reliability... same can be said for the Comp1.. Great Gun's for the Money.

Dennis

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Blackfoot,I'm told that the later Winchester imports with the tapered ribs are the most desirable, but mine is a late Ithaca import with a parallel rib and I love it. I've seldom shot as well from the back fence as I do with the TM-1. Sixteen yds. is another matter. With somewhere around .045 choke(measured with two gages, one showed .044 the .046)it's too unforgiving for my talents, but I wouldn't change it because I get my jollys smoking 'em from the fence.

Buz

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Still the best single barrel trap tournament shotgun ever made and available at very reasonable prices.

16. Barry

Barry Member

There is no better tournament trap gun than the TM series! Especally if it has a factory unaltered stocks that balance the way the factory built them! Years ago the factories cared about balance and none more than in the TM-1.

This is the gun that established Perazzi as the leader in American ATA guns. Mine is an 1970 Ithaca import w/ a 34 thousands fixed choke. I have way over 200,000 rounds through it w/ Giacomo doing minor services every 2 years or so. My gun is nickled and has a Perazzi logo engraved on the receiver by Bill Mains.

Also I have the Laibs firing pin bushing which will keep the gun firing without a hitch forever (w/out this bushing the metal on the breech around the firing pin will deform and become concave. When this happens it can hang up the firing pin and break it, & or make the gun very hard to open as the primer flows back to fill this concave void).

I've registered 24 16Y 100's and lots of great scores since I started shooting it in 1995. I will never change guns if I can help it.

The coil spring trigger is faster than a leaf spring until the coil spring gets soft. It's virtually impossible to change the coil spring w/out the long out of production Perazzi coil spring tool. It's a special pliers like tool to change out the very inexpensive coil springs. I change mine every 6 months or so.

If the TM-1 fits you, buy it and you will never regret it!

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They were made to point and shoot like Model 12's thats why everyone likes them so much ... I have a TM-1 that I am going to go back and start shooting again as well as my favorite Model 12 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. otnot

otnot Active Member

Yes there is a variance from one spring to another. I wonder if the stiffer springs break sooner??

19. recurvyarcher

Mine is also nickeled, and the metal around the firing pin was re-done. I had the locking block repaired last year. This one is an Ithica import, too. No porting or choking on my barrels. I like it that way.

I love the full choke. I may not advance at singles as quickly as someone with a choke that has been opened up (or a more open choke tube), but with time I believe I will learn to be dead on with every target, and it will be easier from the back fence when I make it there.

20. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I also have TM-1 and a TMX Special. They both shoot similarly, except the rib is slightly higher on the TMX. Great trap guns. BRGII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.