1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TM1 hard to open

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Posting for non-computer savvy friend. He has a TM1 that is occasionally very hard to open. I felt his gun and it feels about right, maybe ever so slightly loose side. He says that maybe once every few rounds its very tight and difficult to open all the way. Checked for galling or other signs of binding, nothing found. I suggested we trade guns for a few rounds and he was right. Half way through the third box it was really hard to open, felt like a new gun with a overly tight forearm. Then next shot...back to normal. I have a couple of TM's that have been shot to death and I have never experienced this problem.

Any TM experts have a clue on the cure or cause?

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Look at the fired hull when it was hard to open and inspect it thouroughly, firing pin hit, depth of hit, did it puncture the primer, was the primer bulged out?

Look at side rails for un-burnt powder. are side rails clean?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mark

I just had this happen to one of my TM1.It was a broken firing pin.The gun was hard to open only for a few degrees of movement the firing pin would stick in it own hole and primer.

Take the barrel and stock off pushed the pin in with a punch mine would stick.Removed the firing pin and it felt like it was loose like it was made off two parts.
    Ordered a new one from Whiz White S&W supply 605-341-4412
    Gun worked great yesterday.

Hope this helps
    John G.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

No. I am downloading pics of the problem and solution. Stick around
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK the problem is that the small rocker part in the forearm is worn due to lack of lubrication. I point the part out in the iron assembly. It is the small part that appears to have an angle that the cocking rod inserts into. Guys always lube the front of the cocking rod, but that does no good. Lube the 90 degree end that fits into the small part that is in the iron. use a durable grease such as wheel bearing grease. A grease with body.

This connection works without lube for thousands of gun openings and cocking. But if you look at the part you will see that it is worn and is hanging up on the cocking rod.

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on this. I've never heard of it before. Now I know.

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Hey MIA,

Maybe that's the problem. I lube both sides of my cocking rod and a couple of times a year put a drop of oil on the rocker pivots. Didn't think it would prevent hard opening, I just thought of it as a wear preventive. I will pass this along to the TM1 owner and will check the rocker for wear. Thanks for the info...is a help to all of us TM shooters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.