1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TM-1 Ithaca vs Winchester import

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daddiooo, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I know there are many Perazzi fans out there so someone please provide some info on this. I had the good fortune to see 2 TM -1's side by side at a state shoot last year and one was a Winchester import and the other was an Ithaca. The step rib on the Winchester was a little taller at the step than the Ithaca. Was this change due to a request by Winchester or a Perazzi generated change? Also what years were the Winchester folks importing these?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Dave, I have only held one Win import and the most noticed difference was the tapered rib. Everything else was either the same or similar to my Ithica TM-1. When mounted I could not tell any difference in the site picture. For years I had desired the tapered rib. After handling one the desire is gone. Now the desire has transfered to the TMX. Marc

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Same gun from same production line, slightly different time frame..As far as ribs, they used whatever was supplied for assembly. I still think the TM was the best single barrel offering Perazzi has put on the market and their restarting production with the TM9 proves they agree. Your buck...buy the one that fits you best..you won't be unhappy. Wish I still had mine.

Big Jack

4. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I have one of each and I can see no difference between them. Both have wide rib. I bought the Win. because it was unaltered with all numbers matching including wood. gyrine

5. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

By recollection, Winchester was 1979 only. I'd have to look in up in the book, but thatis what I recall.

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Some Win imports had the same rib as the Ithica imports. There were a few Win imports that had what appeared to be an identical rib except It started out the same width at the rear and was machined narrower as it went forward. Because I liked the tapered rib on my Mirage and my Mauser SBT I had requested a tarered rib from Perazzi for the TM-1 in 1973. I guess a few more people more influential than me had to make some noise. Marc

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

ithaca was thought to have better wood.
    steve balistreri

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

OK, interesting about the TM-1. Question: Is the TM-1 Special significantly "better" than the non-special?

Thanks.

9. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I think Steve may be right about the wood. The wood on my Ithaca is nothing fancy but is much nicer than the wood on the Win. which is really Perazzi orange crate 2 plus the finish has not held up well lot of crazing if thats the right word, lots of very fine hair line cracks. gyrine

10. setter

setter Member

The TM-1 Special had an adjustable trigger and it may have been gold in color (the trigger) else same gun as regular TM-1.

11. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

gyrine, How do you like the winchester import?

12. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

My TM-1 Special has a gold trigger (adjustable) and TM-1 Special in gold lettering on the side of the receiver. Of the few TM-1 specials I have run across, they seem to have better looking wood than the standard grade TM-1's. This is certainly the case of my TM-1 Special next to my TM1 Winchester import in standard grade.

13. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Doug, I have not shot it. I found what I thought was the correct case for it, I have my doubts about that, and just put it away. It appears to have been shot very little. I just wanted a primo one that no one had modified. Even has the original butt pad but I was dissapointed in the condition of the finish compared to the rest of the gun. If I remember correctly the proof mark puts it at 1981. I have an early Ithaca, much modified that I shoot. gyrine

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have had a bunch of TM-1's inc one of the first 25 guns & that one was hand built by Giacomo when he worked for them in Italy. I really like the taper rib better. It seems to define the birds better. Then again,it is a matter of personal choice

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

This answers several questions about the TM 1 for me.

Thanks to all that responded.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.