1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TM 1 coil spring installation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 514678buckeye, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 514678buckeye

514678buckeye TS Member

I just bought a coil trigger spring from Whiz White. I have read his instruction on the installion. But has anyone done this without a Perrazi tool with any success. It appears that spring with guide needs to be compressed about 1/4 inch to fit into housing. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Just do as instructed. I also suggest you get a upholster's tack remover tool (looks like a slightly bent screwdriver), and file a round hole in its "V" to hold the neck of the guide rod.

Using that and following my instructions, you should easily be able to insert the coil and guide.

I am in the process of getting Lucio to make some of the special tools and hope to keep them in stock. There is another tool available, but it is speciffically for the coil spring trigger of the newest generation. Won't work for your application, unfortunately.

Whiz

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I used bent needle nose pliers available from a hardware or tool store. The trigger group shouuld be clamped in a vise to do the job. you should also hang a towel or someting in front of your work to catch the spring and rod if the pliers slip and launch.

Whiz, if you have the red/blue perazzi pliers with a U grove on one side and a pin protruding on the other, you can drill a hole just below the pin to allow the guide rod to pass through it when clamped against the rear of the guide post.

Surfer

4. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

I just went thur this myself, follow whizes instructions or, put the whole trigger wrapped in a rag in you vice to hold it. remove the cocking shoe first.then I took an old screw driver with a wide blade and cut a V into the center, also with your grinder shave off 1 side so the V is more centered, make sure the spring guide is lined up with the holder and push the ball into the hammer,no big deal. then after you get the spring into the hammer replace the cocking shoe, but put a rag over the whole thing so when you launch spring you can find it again, this is not as bad a job as it looks, my trigger worked fine after doing it. Whiz is a great guy to deal with and has all kinds of information on this subject. you will talk to him again.

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

I have a tack puller that I ground on each side. Works, maybe not
    as good as the special tool but works and not needed that often.

Doyal

6. whiz white

Dead on 4: Thanks, and I was aware of this, but I tend to not want to drill a hole in a customer's trigger housing.

I have even on a few occasions, drilled a very, very small diameter hole near the back end of the hammer spring guide; large enough to hold a stick pin. I then made a jig that collapses the coil spring on the guide and permits me to stick a soft brass "T" pin into the hole, and the release the jig. The T-pin hold everything together. I then insert the spring and guide in place, and twist out the T-pin.

This is similar to some of the Brownings I use to do warranty work on. I've not heard anything back from my customers about any failures in the guides... but again, I hesitate to drill a hole into a customer's guide.

I suspect when things slow down at Perazzi Azusa, Lucio will make me some of these pliers. He did send me to life-size copies of the pliers to make, but I've not attempted to do that yet.

Whiz

7. dead on 4

This is a tracing of reconfigured pliers that have been cut and welded to allow TM hammer spring install and removal. As you can see, part of the pliers were cut and welded on a angle. The left side has the U shaped notch to grab the ball end of the spring guide rod. The right side with the pin protruding was intended to used on fixed trigger O/U's has been modified by drilling a hole directly below the pin. This hole allows the guide rod to pass through it when compressing the spring to seat the ball into hammer socket.

Surfer

8. Barry

Barry Member

There's nothing like the real tool to make changing the spring a simple 2 minute job!

dedapr_2008_03031.jpg

9. whiz white

Here's what Lucio made for me.

whizwhite_2008_0203304.jpg

These are designed to be used on current model triggers with coils, of course. They don't work too well with the TM setups, and that's why I use a version of an upholster's tack removal tool.

WW

10. dead on 4

Whiz,
    The pliers pictured are the one's I have. Mine have a hole drilled directly below the pin the allow the the TM guide rod to pass through them when clamped against the rear of the hammer rod guide post.

Surfer

11. whiz white

Surfer: If there is a hole for the Guide Rod to pass through, how do you then remove the pliers from the trigger once the spring and guide rod are installed?

Sound to me that the pliers would become part of the trigger because there would be no way to romve them once you compressed the spring, inserted the assy into position and then releasae the pliers and assembly. The Guide Rod would still be IN the hole of the pliers.

The pin on my pliers is made to rest IN the hole factory drilled in the rear of the trigger housing - NOT IN THE GUIDE ROD HOLE.

And same for DEDAPR: His pliers and functionally the exact same as mine. These were designed to work only on the newer trigger housings. Unfortunately the TM's did not have a predrilled countersink to hole the pin in the pliers.

Whiz

12. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

What is the advantage of the coil over the flat spring? Scott

13. dead on 4

deadon4_2009_040823.jpg

Whiz, this what I've been talking about.

Surfer

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I sold my TM-1 trigger and no longer need this slick set I made to change the coil springs. You won't need a vise to hold the trigger assy with these, just fit it over the pin and compress to lock on. Slick operation and no worries about the pin and spring getting away!!

Hap

15. Hap MecTweaks

Tom, I replied to your PM.

Zard, good to hear "things" have settled down on the home front!! YES, I'll be at the Autumn Grand, pre and main. How much shooting I can do is questionable though. Last year I shot every target via pain pills, I'm still paying for that dumb assed stunt!!

Looking forward to visiting with you soon my friend! Be careful on the drive over too!

Hap

16. whiz white

Here are the pliers I have shown above... they are designed to be used on current coil spring triggers for the MX guns, <i>not the TM guns.</i> The pin is designed to slide into a recessed hole machined into the REAR of the MX trigger HOUSING to hold it in place as you squeeze the front ball-end of the rod guide. (Wish I had one here to photo to prove what I'm talking about - maybe someone out there can do that),

whizwhite_2008_0203304.jpg

Here is a picture of the document Lucio sent me last month showing the pliers to use for TM coil spring triggers. It is hard to see, but the pliers ends are <i>BOTH</i> open and "U" shaped. This design compresses the coil on the rod guide, exposing several thousandths of the rod guide end, thus letting you slide this "end" into the rod guide hole in the trigger, and then you slide the ball-end into the recess in the hammer, and as you release tension, you can remove the pliers.

whizwhite_2008_0203307.jpg

I hope this puts an end to the confusions on DIFFERENT PLIERS DESIGNS!!!

WW

17. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Dead on 4 has the right idea.

18. whiz white

Actually, Dead on 4's idea works, kinda, but if you slip then you launch the guide and spring.

The BEST idea is the second photo showing Lucio's design.

Or, take the red/blue pliers and make an attachment with a "U" shaped piece that mounts to the end of the pin side.

For me, it is simply just easier and proper to have the correct pliers for the work at hand. I launch way, way too much stuff here in the shop, and I should know what I am doing, but I tell myself, "It's OK, you won't launch anything!" HA - wrong.

Whia

19. dead on 4

Whiz,
    I agree with you that the twin fork design, the one's Lucio uses are a better approach for someone in the business who may be R&R-ing TM hammer springs regularly; however for someone like me who may pop a spring in and out for friends or myself a few times a year this setup works just fine, especially if a shooter breaks a hammer or spring and needs to get back on the line.

Any of the approaches, Lucio, yours, mine or Haps are a darn site better than most other methods we've all tried at one time or another. Thanks for clarifying my questions.

Surfer

20. Hap MecTweaks

I'm still looking for a TM-1 pin I lost before making my sure grip outfit pictured above. Lost it with a set of the dinkie pliers that slipped installing a new spring! For safety, I'd put the Craftsman gripper up against any pictured above?? Part John Deer, part Harley D., Craftsman and determination to make something work.

Enjoy them Tom S.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi trigger coil spring tool