1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ's wall chart question..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

TJ

When using the wall chart.. I open my gun, load a snap cap,close gun, mount, check beads, aim at the top of the house, then.... just before I call pull, do I foucus on the target I intend to break, and swing towards it.. which is hard for me to do on hard right targets, or do I call pull and then try to find the target while the gun is in motion? thanks!

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Blackie... I wonder that myself. In fact, the biggest problem I have is lifting my head off the stock to find the target. I'll ask Terry to join in on this/

3. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Blkcloud and Mia.

When I dry fire closer to the chart (like 16 yard distances) I hold about 6 inches above the top edge of the trap house most of the time, going higher and lower at times so you are ready for any length of move to the target.

Using a snap cap I hold about 6 inches above the trap house then I look into the grass at a small spot on the chart where the gun is pointing for about two seconds to get that “quiet eye” soft focus spot then I quickly look up to the targets lead mark, swing to the lead mark and click the trigger on the mark making sure to follow through at least a few inches past the lead dot.

That soft focus spot should try and duplicate what would be a two foot wide patch on a real trap field

As long as your eyes are getting to the target ahead of your gun you are using the chart correctly. When my eyes get up to the targets lead mark the gun is probably about ½ to ¾ of the way up to the mark. I am looking at the lead dot when I see the shadow of the gun barrel arriving in the picture. I shoot a release trigger so I try to let it go as the image of the gun barrel passes the lead dot.

I think this is what is confusing you and other shooters. I re-wrote this clearer a few years ago. In my early years I did almost all of my dry firing from the 27 yard chart distance.

When working on long yardage handicap, dry firing standing from further back at the 27 yard chart distance. I use the same gun hold points as I do up closer to the chart, but I will look right up at the target’s lead mark most of the time and move the gun to where I am looking. (you can't do that up closer to the chart)

It may seem strange holding lower on the chart and looking up at the targets lead marks but this drill is teaching you how to get the gun to exactly where your eyes are looking with a short move. A good mix of both higher and lower eye hold methods seems to work great for me.

Terry.

4. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Terry:
    I heard someone asking a similar question a while back and the solution they came up with was that the target point that was hard to see was the way hard right (or left) and the hold point they would usually use for that point in a real target situation would probably be off the end of the house anyway. So by adjusting the hold point to off the end of the house, the target was easier to see sooner and create a more natural practice / versus real scenario.

d

5. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

The target spread on both sized Wall Charts is wider than what you would really find on post 3.

I always thought it was necessary as it teaches you to turn more so it prepares you for sharp angles on posts 1 & 5.

Terry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.