1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Wall Chart, my experiences

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunpeople, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I have been sitting here thinking of all of my experiences using the Terry Jordan Wall Chart, and thought that it would be interesting to hear others comments.

I had a severe flinching problem years ago and needed to convert to the release trigger. After meeting Terry and his partner Bill Wylie at a shoot, I purchased a chart to aid in my getting use to the release when I bought it, and in doing that I found I had a host of other quirky problems that needed attention.

I found I was jerky to the target, yanked hard, pulling the forearm down as I let the trigger go, and actually was closing my eyes when I released the trigger.

Using the chart got me used to the release trigger in a heartbeat..I went to the club for the first trial and shot 23-24-25-25 with no flinching the first day I ever shot a release..I owe the many dollars I didn't have to spend at the range, not to mention the worried shooters with me, to using the chart for many sessions before attempting to use live ammo. I would purposly pretend that I had a broken target, and learned how to reach over and open the action without releasing the trigger before hand. (A comforting feeling when you know you are using a snap cap and not live ammo.)

I smoothed out my swing and learned how to keep my gun "UP" after I shot instead of yanking down on the forearm...And I then realized I was keeping my eyes open once again, and not closing them...

Eventually I took all of my lessons of the chart to the range, put them all together one day and shot a 200 straight..Never in a million years did I ever think that would be possible the way I was shooting before the chart.

Personal pressures kept me from shooting on a regular basis for a couple of years but I continued to use the chart. This year when things got straightened out and I was able to attend the first shoot I had shot in 9 months, I came out of the box and hit a 99....Not that I have done that good every time but I feel the Chart work I continued to do, helped me keep in shape.

Thanks to Terry Jordan and his chart, and "Sparrow" Young for his part in the invention of the release trigger, I am still shooting today.

That's a little bit of my total story, I would like to hear about your's.

Dave in SC

2. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

Shotgun people: Please explain how the chart works. I am a new shooter and may be able to benefit from some of your experience. Thanks Dave Hunt

3. shotgunpeople

Hi Dave,

I will put a picture at the end of this of my wife practicing on the chart we have on a porch. This is an 8 foot chart and they also come in 10 foot long ones. Look close and you will see little dots in front of each target, those are what you look at.

We follow Terry's instructions and use it quite often. It is a visual thing, no moving parts, just your eyes and arms. We stand 13 feet in back of the chart which represents the 16 yard line. You don't have to be precise but 13 feet is what the chart is sized for. For each additional yard for handicap you stand one foot more back, hence a 20 yard shooter would stand back about 17 feet.

We mount and hold the gun (Loaded with a snap cap)on the house or just above, glance to any one of the lead marks at any given target on the chart and actually call "Pull". We then move to that particular lead point just as if we were actually going for the target...The lead point keeps you looking in front of the target as you would in actual shooting. When we reach the point we pull (Or release) the trigger and the sound of the hammer stiking the pin is enough to intimidate you if you have an arm yanking, or jerky movement when you do this....After you fire, let yourself follow through 6 inches or so which helps your memory to do this each time and in real shooting...

Mostly the chart will make you a nice and smooth to the target shooter. You will not be herky jerky after you use this a while....AND, you get to know what is happening when you pull your trigger...IE: Jerking or flinching, and it will eventually help you to relax and not jerk any more.

Terry has a super write up on the use of the chart and would be more than glad to send you one...his email is: jordan4842@rogers.com. I'm sure he would be glad to hear from you.

I have found Terry to be great to talk to about any questions I have had, he's just a super person.

In one ad he has, I believe it's Harlan Campbell who says that the chart makes "Time stand still"..Meaning you can sit and stare at the targets at every given angle, and take a good look at just where you should be looking at each one before you pull the trigger. It is a great training aid for sure.

Doubles can be practiced also buy going to one angle target and then swinging to the other side of center and into another target. I use one about half way up for the first shot and a higher one across the chart for the second shot. Amazing how smooth you can get and not make that infamous double dip to the second target...

I hope this helps clear up any questions Dave...I would surely give Terry an email and ask for a writeup...

Good luck, Dave in SC

[​IMG]

4. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Buy It, Use It and watch your scores go "UP"!!!!!!!

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I ordered mine today.

6. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

As a new shooter, buying Terry's chart is the best money you will ever spend. Make sure you read the writeup provided at least two or three times. It is very important that you fully understand what you are supposed to be doing and what the results you should be looking for. when you buy the chart, you are making a friend for life. YOu can call Terry or send him an email. He will help you solve your problems. Do some simple math. What is the cost of 500 targets and shells at your club? If you buy the chart and shoot 500 rounds on it, you will have it paid for. Then you still have the chart for the rest of your life. GREAT INVESTMENT.

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

As an old shooter ... and a user of Terry's chart I highly recommend it for winter practice. I come to the Florida shoots ready to swing my gun and shoot some good scores.

I have one in my basement and I use it all winter. Dry fire and eye movement practice at lease 4 times a week for 20 minutes each time.

Buy one and use it ... it works.

Bob Schultz

8. checker

checker Member

I have mine in the "Big Room"....TV, Computer, Trap Gun and TJ chart....Practice make's Perfect. Got a Bore Lazer in my Trap Gun....it is right on POI and then I can see EXACTLY where I was aming when I fire. Trains you to look at the target/lead point & lazer red dot track.
    [​IMG]

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Just a minor correction to Dave's statement regarding distances from the chart to work with. His distances were correct, IF you are using a 10' chart. If you are using an 8' chart, which is shown in his picture, the numbers would be 10' back for 16yds. and 19' back for the 27. This could be important if you are mounting one in your garage and only have 20' from the mounting wall to the garage door, as is common in my area. This is the precise reason I bought the 8' chart instead of the 10' one..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

19 yards back for the 27? You must have one hell of a garage, Dan. How about 19 feet?

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Yeah.... I can't see from one end of my gargage to the other.....lol... I meant 19 feet... Dan

12. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

To all who opined on this thread. I have ordered an 8ft chart and have downloaded a lot of informtion from Terry. I intend to put in the hours with the chart necessary to realize the benefits that are there. Thanks to all who responded. Dave in SC: Would you be a member of Mid-Carolina Gun Club? Dave Hunt

13. maka

maka Member

Does anyone know how much an 8ft. cost? Are they still available? How do you pay for one, ie... Check, MO. or Bank draft. Thanks.

14. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

MAKA: E-MAIL Terry Jordan..... jordan4842@rogers.com He will provide you info on ordering a chart. Dave Hunt

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Or just call him - phone number is on the bottom of his webpage, link above. I talked to him yesterday for quite a while. He's very easy to talk to. I sent him a check for the 8 foot chart, $150, and he said he was shipping right away, trusting me to send the check as I promised.

16. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

What Pocatello said -

17. shotgunpeople

First of all, my appologies on having put the wrong info about distances to satand back with the 8' chart...Darned if I know why but I was thinking about our 10 foot one at the time. Thank yoiu TRAP2 for correcting my mistake.

To WYBOO WOOD. Yes indeed we are members of the Mid Carolina Gun Club. My wife has been here for 2 years taking care of her folks and I just moved down in July. She has been a member for the two years she has been here. I have seen your WYBOO WOOD some where else on here, and wondered if you were from the area also. If you were at the Low Country HOF shoot at the club in November, I had the 10' chart (an old Vandalia on Mylar paper #167) on display against the pavilion wall for the folks to see.

Thanks for the corrections guys, Dave in SC

18. samiam03

samiam03 Member

My own private trap field. Can even practice from the back fence.

19. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Emailed TJ last night ordered a chart, spent 2 hours this AM going over this info he sent(7 emails). He calls on his nickel and furthers my education over a half hour at noon today. My average has gone up 5 and I haven't received the chart yet. "SUPER" man to deal with........can't say enough. Jim

20. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I mentioned earlier this week, when you buy the chart from Terry you are making a friend for life. He REALLY wants everyone who buys one of his charts to become a WINNER regarless of the class you shoot in. Great GUY. Will always talk to you when you have any questions. His wife (Nancy) is a real sweetheart also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.