1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

titewad powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by retiredguy, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

I am thinking about changing powder,Does any one out there load Hodgdon Titewad Powder?If so I would like to hear your comments. Such as Performance/Metering/Loading receipts/Ect.

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Shoots great, but tiny flakes make a bit of a mess around reloader. Takes up very little space in the hull, so you have to choose your wads wisely. HTH

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

trap/pull,

Hodgdons Titewad powder is a very good powder for 7/8 and 1 oz loads. It works well for 1 1/8oz shells as longe as you don't want anything faster than 1200fps. The powder meters well and works very good year round. The best part is that it is very cost effective.

ec90t

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ditto

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Titewad is a ball powder rolled out into TINY flakes. It IS messy around the loader and has a tendency to leak out around the charge bar somewhat. For some reason (maybe not operating the handle slow enough?) I have not had good success with consient charges using a progressive loader(but NO problems using a single stage) It works well in 1 oz. loads, but you will need a taller wad. I use the Clay Buster 4100 lightning or the gray Win.7/8 clone. It has mild recoil and burns vey clean.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I just finished my second 8 Lbs jug, maybe the third, yesterday. I have used it in 1 1/8 Oz and more recently in 7/8 Oz. loads. I have maybe 2,000 rounds or so of the 7/8 oz. loads fired and another several hundred loaded ready for use.

Contrary to what so many people seem to say, once I went to the 7/8 Oz (driven to it by the price of shot!) my scores increased appreciably! I am a very fast shooter so I doubt that many of my targets get past the 25 yard mark before the shot is in the air. I have been using 8 1/2 shot in these loads and the results are quite impressive. Even only trucking out the barrel at 1200 or so fps, the breaks, when I do my part right, have been commented on by more than a few of the fellows at the club. They find it hard to believe that 7/8 oz. is all I am shooting. The load is a STS or Gun club shell with a Win 209 lighting up 18.0 Gr. of Titewad, pushing a Claybuster 4100-12 with 7/8 Oz. shot. Just for fun I tried it for a round from the 25 yd. line once at practice and the 7/8 Oz. load still broke the birds fine. In fact it may have been one of my higher scores since I am only a 22 Yd. shooter and I haven't shot many of those lately.

Titewad Pluses: Cheaper than most powders, clean burning, low recoil, reliable performance (never had a blooper other than when I didn't put ANY powder is the shell ;-), worked well in cold weather.

Neutral: Charge weights a bit heavier than some other powders when used in 7/8 Oz. but lighter than some other powders. Loading data for 7/8 Oz. finally becoming more available.

Minuses: Messy, the very fine powder finds the tiniest hole around the bushing or bar and puts a fair amount of powder on and around the press (Hornady Apex and 366 in my case), sticks to the scale pan when weighing out charges and will stick to the side of the case a bit while being loaded (the wad seems to push it down when the wad is inserted and performance doesn't seem to be impaired but it just looks "wrong".

Conclusion: Would I buy it again? Yes if the price per shell is still one of the lowest around. Right now I am just starting to try some Nitro 100 in the 7/8 Oz. load since I have a fair amount of Nitro on hand. If the Nitro works well then the next jug to be purchased, Titewad/Nitro, will be determined by how much it costs per shell.

7. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I think it is fine for 1 oz or less but 11/8 oz it runs too high on pressure.I am not a big fan.

Darr

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you load on a MEC; getting Pattern Control's Red Plastic powder baffle will almost eliminate the powder leaking. I get about 6 grains per 100 hulls loaded. This baffle has a spring loaded neck that rides on the charge bar. There is no need for the rubber bushing or brass washer. With other larger grain powders it just about eliminates the powder leaking, 1 or 2 grains per 100 hull loaded.

Jason

9. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

10. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

11. bentbarrel

bentbarrel TS Member

Have probably loaded and shot over 50,000 rounds in the past 6 years exclusively using Titewad. Using Windjammer wads and W209 primers you can safely load up to 1250 fps loads staying in safe pressures. Will likly never use anything else, very pleased with its performance.

12. Hullchucker

Hullchucker TS Member

Titewad is an excellant powder but it is very fine and most Mec loaders leak, so it ends up all over your loading area. Shoots great.

13. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Has anyone used a TGT12 wad in place of the Fig. 8 or WJ wad ? I used a 1 1/8th oz. recipe with Downrange WJ wad and got dished crimps. Also tried Federal hull with a 12S3 wad and still a little dished. Seems to be a fine powder like Titegroup and for that I do use TGT12 wads in my 1 1/8 oz. loads.
    Anyone called Hodgdon on this and got an OK to use the TGT12 with Titewad ?

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon has published (somewhere) that the TGT-12 can interchange with the Figure 8.

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Thanks. I guess it stands to reason as Titegroup/Titewad are both Hodgdon products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
tite wad powder loads

hodgdon titewad

hodgdon titewad powder

titewad powder

titewad powder for sale

titewad powder load data
titewad powder recipes
titewad powder trapshooters