1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titewad powder?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I recently picked up a pound of Hodgdon Titewad powder to try, Anyone use this or have any experience with It? Thanks

2. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Yes I have and like it. The up side is that I like the snap, alot like 700X I used 18.2 grains, with a blue duster wad in a AA hull with winchester primer. The down side that its a very fine flake powder and it gets between the bar and the housing. Have to use the brass bushing on the mec loader. Otherwise its a good powder and in most cases fairly reasonable. hope this helps. alex Kotter

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you are using a MEC pick up the red plastic powder baffle from Pattern Control (PC) this baffle has a spring loaded sleeve that is long enough that you don't use the rubber grommet and brass washer. I almost gave up on the powder due to the leaking past the grommet and brass washer. It is a rather dense and efficient powder. I did have a slight dish in the crimps with 1 oz loads in Win AA hulls and Win components. They shot very well for me.

Jason

4. leadvail

leadvail Member

I've used it alot for all my 1150/1200fps 1 1/8oz loads and loved it for the way it metered so consistently. I use WJ 8.5's for 16s and CB AAs 8's for cap. and 7/8oz. loads for practice.

But now that Iam on the 27 I am trying red dot for more versatility for 1250fps loads also. Red Dot being the same price and made in USA.

5. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

I use it for my first shot on doubles:

Powder: Titewad Grains: 16.6
    Oz: 7/8 Shot: 8.5
    Wad: WAA12L (and XXL-7/8)

Jim

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I bought a pound of it to evaluate and quickly found that I could not find a wad long enough. The wads I used would occasionally slid forward in the hull and create a air space above the powder...instant blooper. I couldn't crimp tight enough to keep this from happening. I gave it to someone who had better luck with it in 20 ga.

Morgan

7. dzneff

dzneff Member

I used 16 lbs. of Tightwad powder in the early part of this year. Worked OK in my PW 950 press without any problem. No negatives on the trap range. But could see no appreciable advantage, so returned to Clays powder with very good results.

Dennis

8. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Yes,,I am fairly new at reloading,,,started with Red Dot (came with the Mec Jr. loader I bought),,,changed to Titewad because of price (least expensive, and I use less),,16.0 grains, #8, win. 209, Win AA (Red and Gray), for 7/8 and 1 oz.,,comes out at 1219,,and smokes them (went "the Indian" points the gun right). I shoot from the 21 yd line,,and with the cost of components, it seems like the best way to go,,,,For me it works very well.
    Norman

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Great stuff. Made in the USA!

For me its a toss up between it and Clays.

Tim

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I found it to be much messier than Clays in the barrel and with a slightly depressed crimp compared to Clays (using same wad), but have no problem with its performance. Breaks targets very nicely. My current load is Fed Gold Medal hulls, 16.5 gr Titewad, W209 primer, 12SO Federal wad, 7/8 oz reclaimed shot. A nice, light load - but I might still go back to Clays after I'm done with the 8# I bought, unless components further increase substantially in price.

Jennifer

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Just purchased a pound this wk. to try. Nitro hulls, 18.2 gr.( DL-366--bushing 423) Rem. primer and DR-XL-1. Nice crimp. Haven't put it on paper yet. Anybody else load this load?? Thanks, Steve Oops, 1 1/8 of 7 1/2. Will also try 8's.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

jmheritage and AAtrap,

Make sure you weigh the powder. The bushing charts are close, at best, but not to be considered as particularly accurate.

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tim. Yes I did weigh on digital scales before loading some. 18.2 gr. Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.