1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titewad Bloopers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brent375hh, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have had two bloopers in the last 300 with Titewad lately. I am shooting 16.7 TW with 1 oz of shot, CB 1100-12, and an Rem STS primer in a STS hull. I have crimps that are about a nickel deep. Yes, there IS powder in them since the barrel is full of it upon opening.

I prefer Red Dot and Win 209s, but had to take what I could get lately.

Are there actually such things as weak primers?

Thanks

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Brent,

How cold is it where you're at? If its starting to get cold, try Winchester primers.

ss

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Low 40's for temps. I will keep looking for some Winchester primers

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Cheddites will work in lou of Winchesters.

Also, look at your primers while they are in the tray. I've got a few Remington 209's to send back that have no/very little powder in the primer. This will also cause a squib load.

ss

5. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

We've been shooting Titewad for a year or two (we shot Clays before that but have had a hard time finding it). I started shooting with the current batch a couple of months ago, and then as soon as the temperatures started to go down here in Idaho, we had several bloopers (light kick, lots of crud in the barrel, and some unburnt flakes in the hull). The load was 17.5 gr Titewad, W209, 1oz lead, Federal Gold Medal Hull, CB-2100 wad (12SO). I upped the load to 18 and only had one blooper so far between my husband and me, but am thinking of getting another larger bushing for another half a grain more. I was surprised that the temps, this early in the fall, made that much of a difference!

We had the same thing happen last winter, but the loads were very light and the shells got left in the truck overnight.

Jennifer

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I had one this summer in June loaded with titewad, it barely launched the shot and wad out of the gun. I opened the action and saw powder sizzlin down the barrel.

Jerry

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don't forget that a cocked wad can cause the powder not to burn at the proper rate.

Pat Ireland

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Stopped using TW for the same reason. Never had an issue with Nitro100....still my powder of choice!

AndyH ;-)

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I can relate to your problem. I had the same issue with TightGroup. Same primer-same results!!

10. furface

furface Member

I think Pat has hit on it, tipped wad. I load TW with Win. & Fio. primers and never had a blooper. Shot them in 30 degrees. Good luck, Joe

11. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

It looks like the wad is going straight in. Considering the length to width ratio, it looks like it would be hard to have it go in cocked.

Just inspected 100 Rem STS primers. One had a noticable void in the compound. I am not used to having to inspect primers.

I will try different primers and/or closely inspect the ones I have.

Thanks

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Brent-

Take that suspicious looking primer and make up a regular load with it and see (listen) how it goes BANG. Maybe that will tell you something.

AndyH ;-)

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Likely problem is the last thing people want to admit to, reloader error. So we have gremlins galore such as cocked wads and faulty primers. Nobel Sport primers seems to be the latest whippin boy, I have never had a problem with them.

First place for orginality goes to 09newbie for: " I opened the action and saw powder sizzlin down the barrel".

I once had a bad Winchester primer though, honest.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

brent375hh- It is very easy to have a wad end up cocked. I can tell you how to do it. With a knife, cut off one of the fingers on your plastic wad guide. I am certain that many readers have confirmed that this will cock a wad.

Pat Ireland

15. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I would be happy to admit my error. I would be happier to know what it was.
    I have loaded 20K rounds without problems in my past. The only difference is the brand of two of the components.

Cocked wads? I am not ramming this in with a crooked stick amd I dont have any broken fingers. Pat, I will change this out just to be certain. Thanks

I have crimps that are good and deep with once fired hulls.

I can see a barrel full of unburned powder, yet the primer did go off and launch the wad and shot out to the trap house.

16. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

furface, out of curiosity, what is the approximate speed of your loads that you're using in cold weather?

Pat: If the wad petals are all visible and level at the top, prior to the crimp stage, is it still possible for the wad to be cocked? Where does the actual cocking or tipping occur on the wad?

I don't know about the other guys having problems, but I've loaded tens of thousands of the same load through my Spolar and doubt it's a cocked wad although I'm not saying it's impossible. Just to be sure though, I'll shine a light behind my loads and see if anything looks "untoward."

The only time I've had these problems is with light loads (1150-1180 fps) when it gets cold out. No problems in the summer. I'm going to go with a faster load when my new Hornady bushings come in and let you know what happens.

Thanks for your insight, Jennifer

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jennifer- Certainly, lower temperatures decrease the burn rate and can cause poor reloads. Alliant tests their powders at -20F, 70F and 120F. The results surprised me. I mentioned the cocked wad because it is another possibility. The term cocked wad, to me , can be anything with the over powder section turned at an angle to a nick in the rim of the over powder part of the wad.

Yes, the top of the wad can look normal and the over powder section be turned or damaged. Also, the wad guide fingers can look normal but the wad guide can be split at the upper end. This can only be seen by removing the entire wad guide. Please do not ask me how I know this, I am doing my best to forget running out of failure to fires on a few fields.

Pat Ireland

18. shrek

shrek Active Member

I had used titewad for a while and my team mate used to be able to identify when I shot it due to the variable sounds it was giving for each shot. He used to jokingly refer to them as my musical loads. Was also using only published loads from Hodgdon, no subbing of anything.

I could tell on some of the lighter ones that they were off, he said it was more variable than just those.

It metered extremely consistent for me, based on what my scale said, so I don't think it was variable charges.

As a result I have switched to Red Dot, Clay Dot, or Clays, and have had not problems.

19. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks Pat, you're a wealth of information!

Well, I had to buy some 700x because I couldn't find any Clays or Titewad, so it will be interesting to see if the problem stops when I start using it.

shrek, the Titewad meters very consistently for me too, although each batch I buy can vary almost a grain from the last one, so much so that I've had to change bushings to keep the same velocity. My husband and I have both had our squad mates ask us if we were shooting blanks at times when the temps dropped and we were shooting light Titewad loads. My Hornady #417 bushing was dropping 17.3 grains in the first batch, and then 18.1 in the second batch, and now 17.5 in the current batch. I went up to a #423 last week and my husband said he still had one shell last weekend that was too light with unburned powder in the bbl. I ordered a #429 from Grafs so we'll se how that goes.

Well I beat a dead horse on this one, thanks for the help...

Jennifer

20. furface

furface Member

I'll admit TW when loading light will make some funny sounds. Everyone tells my friend how off sounding his loads are after he went 100 straight. I load at 1200fps and everything works OK except the 100 straight. I have caught the powder cup and loaded the shell but had small crease on the side of the shell giving it away. Good luck, Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.