1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titegroup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TomJ, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJ

TomJ Member

I would appreciate responses from those of you who have experience reloading using Titegroup. Specifically,

1) Is Titegroup suitable for use in 1 oz. loads? I am currently loading 16.5 gr. of 700X, in AA cases, DownRange DRRT12 wads, with Noble Sport primers.

2) Is it suitable for loading 1 1/8 oz. loads. How does it compare with, lets say, GreenDot?

3) Or option #3 am I better off sticking with the old standards, i.e., 700X and GreenDot?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Tom

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I think you will find the data on Hodgdon Powders web-site. It appears to have some of the same performance data as Alliant Powder products. Alliant's Green Dot and American Select appear to be similar in their performance data vs. Hodgdon TiteGroup. I like both Green Dot and American Select.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I don't think you will reload 1 oz with titegroup. You have to use a 1oz wad with 1 1/8 oz loads as there is so little powder. It loads a kick a$$ 1 1/8 oz handi-cap load.

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I used it for a good while. It makes a fantastic 1 oz. load,however,you will need to use a 7/8 oz. wad to take up the space,since it is a very fine and dense powder.

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

This info is direct from Ron Reiber at Hodgdon.
    When using Titegroup, use a 1 oz wad for 1 1/8 oz loads.
    For 1 oz. loads use 7/8 oz wad.

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

TG is an excellent powder. I agree with the guys above. Got turned onto it in order to make Nitro27 clones (TGT12 wad, Titegroup powder, R209 primer). It seems to burn very clean and cool in temperature. It doesn't burn hulls nearly as fast as other powders.

I like Green Dot for its performance, but I don't like how much black residue it leaves on the action of my gun and on my reloader. TG doesn't do that.

I do load both 1oz and 1 1/8th oz with Titegroup, according to the recipes in Hogdon's manual. The only note is that you want to use TGT12 wads instead of Fig8s. That is because they are taller and take up the space that would be left due to the low bulk of TG. You can certainly load Fig8 wads but the crimp will be dished.

I only wish there was published recipes for TG and Federal Papers. Might be an excellent combo.

7. TomJ

TomJ Member

Thanks to everyone for the excellent information, it's exactly what I was hoping to obtain. Thanks again,
    Tom

8. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I use tightgroup 16 grains, TGT wad 1 1/8 oz # 8's for singles(1150fps), Remy hulls. And I use 18 grains tightwad, TGT wad, 1 1/8 oz #7.5's for long caps Remy hulls (1240 fps). Clean burning, I like it. YMMV Scott

9. shrek

shrek Active Member

I used ir for a while in AAHS hulls since they tend to be a little on the low capacity side to begin with, with green dusters, if I recall right, for 1 oz loads. I think I loaded them to about 1235 fps.

They worked fine.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Titegroup works very well in the 12 ga. My Dillon 1050 seems to gobble this powder up for pistol ammo, but it leaves me Red Dot. LOL

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

@ alvedes: <i>I only wish there was published recipes for TG and Federal Papers. Might be an excellent combo.</i>

'Published' is the keyword there, I think. The next 'keyword; is crimp.

I loaded some 24gm Hummingbird & Bumblebee loads using TG & nickle #8½ in Federal Papers translating American Select International data (they are pretty close to the same 'Hot') for FGM.

Even with the longest wads I had: T-2, REX, Spark, the crimps were deeper than most prefer, and I ended up roll crimping them, IIRC.

Across a chrono, there were sprightly, ~1400fps, and I was picking pigeons off the top of a grain elevator, but I'm not sure they had enough pressure to cycle an 1100.

They were special, alright, but not really worth the extra work to make everything look pretty.

Bob

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I started with it to make Nitro clones also.

18.2 in a Remington hull with a Downrange XL-1 wad. I have done some one ounce also and they are great as long as you use a tall wad. You could also drop in a 20 gauge Nitro card if you have them.

I use Titewad behind an ounce for 16yd and skeet. Keeping 2 powders is not a problem since I am used to keeping about a dozen rifle and pistol powders.

HM

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

16.5gr of 700x is a nice load, I would stick with that.

14. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Titegroup in a Fed. hull, 1 1/8 oz? - anyone tried it?

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Titegroup in a Fed. hull, 1 1/8 oz? - anyone tried it?</i>

I'm sure somebody has. It's a good medium-slow powder: think AS, GD, PB, U&U, HS-6 ... but it takes a very small volume of it to make a load - smaller volume than any of those others.

The issue is FIT and getting the right wad that will crimp. 12S0, maybe? or a 7/8 wad?

It would work, go boom and break birds, TG is just a hard component fit because of volumes.

Bob

16. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Thanks Bob and more specific:

Fed. Game & Target Hull
    Rio Primer
    1 1/8 oz. shot
    DRXL-1 Wad
    18 grs. Titegroup powder
    approx. 1250fps.

(21.5 grs. of Green Dot makes the load too tight and some open up the crimps).

No problems with the components using Green Dot in a FGM hull or Euro trash.

17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yep 4th, between you, me and Shooting Coach, we [heart]
    misc Eurotrash Hulls.

18. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have an excellent 27 yard load in the top gun and rio type shells. But it is not published so I hesitate to give it out here.
    Don

19. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Like Halfmile ... I also prefer Titewad to Titegroup.

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

What Goat said. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
18 grains titegroup 1 oz
20 gague titegroup load
titegroup

titegroup 12 gauge

titegroup 12ga loads
titegroup in12 ga target loads