1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titegroup Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tonyd642, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyd642

tonyd642 TS Member

I tried some reloads using titgroup powder in an STS hull and a figure 8 wad. My crimps are sunk in and leave on open space. I have read here on TS.com that some are using the TGT wad. Looking for feedback on how well the TGT works. I called Hogdon and they did not recomend using any other wad other than the figure 8. I am loading 1 1/8 oz of shot and love the way the shells shoot but I can't get over having stray BBs rolling around everywhere.

2. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Tony, I had the same issue with titegroup and shifted to the TGT12s, problem solved.

Only real difference in the two wads is height. I use whichever fits better for a particular load.

Jim

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

You might want to check how deep you are compressing the wad. Some wads spring back more/quicker than others. IMHO Ron

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It is not a problem compressing the wad. The Fig-8 is too short. Remington uses a TGT-12 wad in their Nitro27 shells made using the OEM equivalent of TiteGroup.

When I called Hodgdon for confirmation of what I already knew, I was told there were no problems substituting TGT-12 for Fig-8 wads. I did, the fit and crimps were fine, and I didn't have to make any adjustments to my press. Try the TGT-12s.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

same load but I use Fed wads, windjammers too. No prob

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Tony,

The TGT's are the problem solver here. They weigh in almost the same as a Fig 8 but are a tad bit taller. The pressures created are identicle between the two wads. I've loaded quite few handicap shells using 18.0 grains with a Remington primer, hull, and TGT wad.

If you by chance load some Wincheseter hulls, use the Fig 8's. For some reason you will get a better crimp.

Very nice powder and very consistant wether hot or cold.

ec90t

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Eddie, have you ever used Titegroup? It is much denser than the other powders I've used, Clays, International Clays, 700x, that there is no comparison. I must adjust the bar way down to get the same weight drops, and I must use a TGT-12 wad rather than a Fig-8 to get a good crimp. It is not a matter of adjusting a crimping device.

8. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

Please tell me someone is using this powder for 16yrds, and what oad you are using
    Thanks
    GAZ

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

k-gunguy,

16.4 grains in a Remington hull, either Winchester or Remington 209's, TGT wad and 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of shot. This is very effective from the 16 yd line. If I recall this was 1180fps out of my gun.

ec90t

10. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

My experience is much like Eddie has stated. I have my crimp starter set a bit lower and the crimp is probably close to 1/16 inch deep but I can use the load as specified in the manual. Ron

11. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

EC90T
    Thanks for that info,that is exactly what I came up with.
    Light recoil,crushes targets,I use fig-8s,works fine
    k-gunguy also GAZ

12. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Eddie -

There's nothing wrong with having some of that shot travel down the barrel unprotected. If there were I doubt that Remington would be using those wads in their Nitro 27 handicap loads. People wouldn't tend to buy shells that promote bad patterns - and that would include many all americans.

Scott

13. tonyd642

tonyd642 TS Member

Hey thanks for all of the info. I really like shooting the reloads with titegroup powder but just couldn't get over the recessed crimp. I will try the TGT-12 wad and run with it.

I used up the last of the Clays powder that I had and it worked fine but then I shot some of the Titegroup loads again on Sunday and and just love the light recoil. The targets were smoking hard even in the cold weather.

Just for info: I am loading on a new P/W 800 plus with the case feeder. If you don't have a case feeder you are missing the boat. That thing is awesome.

I am loading an STS hull, remington primer, 1 1/8oz Westcoast shot and 16 grains of Titegroup. I will be switching to the TGT-12 wad from the Figure 8. This load is listed at 1145fps and shoots and feels just like the factory STS load.

Thanks again guys and Merry Christmas

Tony D. 16 03115

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.