1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titegroup powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KMXT, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KMXT

KMXT Member

Has anyone used Titegroup powder?

2. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I have used tightgroup for HDCP loads for about 5 + yrs. Hodgdon has loading info for this powder. Powder container says (a little goes a long way)and its true.

Jason in PA

3. Bama73

Bama73 Member

I recently bought 2lbs of Titegroup to try out on cap loads, and I was extremely pleased with the results. Do a search on this site under my sign on name for the chronograph data from various charge weights. It's very soft shooting and breaks targets well. Only downside is it's a very fine, dense powder so if using a Remington hull, you may have to use a 1oz wad for 1 1/8 loads. On the contrary it's perfect in AAHS hulls with standard length AA12 wads/copies. I use the Down Range DRXL11/8 blue wad and it's a perfect fit in a AAHS hull.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yes Sir, I used multiple Kegs of Titegroup over the years. I have not been reloading 12 gauge but still can if need be. TiteGroup is still my "go to" powder for most pistol calibers.

I use MEC presses, and they really did not have a bushing that gave me the powder weight I wanted. I took a smaller number powder bushing and filed it out to what I call a #17 plus. Use your scale to make sure you know what you are getting. I use STS, Nitro or gun club hulls. Since Titegroup uses so little room in the hull, I use 1 ounce wads for the 1-1/8th ounce loads. This is not completely needed, but the crimps are a little too dished with a regular 1-1/8th ounce wad. TiteGroup is a good, reliable powder, never had any temperature related failures. It is not as dirty as some powders, but not as clean as others. If you want to load a really light load, you will like "CLAYS" powder better. TiteGroup does a good job with 1160 to 1200 fps loads.

Good Luck

5. open choke

open choke TS Member

I'm glad someone brought this up. I just picked up a 4 pounder to try out.

I got this powder cause I heard it very close to the powder in STS and NITRO's as mentioned before.

And I would have went nuts with the 1 1/8 wads had I not known. Thanks

6. dontate

dontate Member

Remington TGT12 wads or clones work great in Remington or AA hulls with this powder.

7. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Use a TGT wad with 1 1/8 oz loads with Tight group, or clones of the TGT, I like the Down Range clone. YOu will get great crimps. Scott

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Titegroup is goodness. You will need some small bushings to throw the right charge. I run 331-351 on my Spolar. Plus you will want TGT12 Remington wads or the orange WWT12 winchester wads for the best crimps. I like it best for 1200-1250 ft/sec loads with 1 1/8oz payloads. The extra pressure makes it burn super clean, just like factory Nitro 27s.

It will make a lite load, but I generally prefer Clays if I am making weenie loads.

9. KMXT

KMXT Member

Thanks for all of the info. Fell in love with Rex I and II powders, though pretty dirty, they were soft on recoil, and on the wallet.

Lou Tenant thanked this.
  10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Although not listed, TG makes a GREAT Bunker load. VERY CLEAN.

I also liked REX powders.

11. Randy P

Randy P Member

Avaldes, what primer are you using when going over 1200 ft/sec. The reloading manual calls for a Rem primer only, but they are hard to find or way over priced. I called Hodgdon and they told me I could use CCI primers and back off 1/2 grain.

Bama73, it has become my favorite powder no matter what yardage. It's clean and I can get my velocity from 1150 - 1250 ft/sec.

12. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I have not used Titegroup .... but I use Titewad and am happy with it. $100 for 8 lbs and loading Remington STS / Nitro hull: Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Titewad Win. 209 Windjammer 17.2 10,400 PSI 1145.
    Slightly dirtier than Clays.

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Randy P,

I do run Remington primers for my handicap loads in Rem hulls. There is a comparable load for AA hulls too if you use Winchester primers. Though not listed, I have been thinking about loading a similar recipe in Federal paper and plastic hulls (with F209 primers) and sending them out for testing.

Titegroup seems to burn "cooler" than other powders and doesn't burn hulls as much. So I get a couple more loads out of a hull before they get too crispy.

14. open choke

open choke TS Member

Any idea what bushing size for a MEC I will need to get 16 or 17 grains?

15. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

16 grains Tight group # 17 bushing, 17 grains tight group # 18 bushing. Get it? Scott

16. J.T.

J.T. TS Member

Does anyone know what p.w. bushing I need to through 16.0 grains of titegroup powder.

17. open choke

open choke TS Member

Thanks scott.

Now for the dished crimps wouldn't lowering the crimp starter to make the folds closer together give good crimps and still use the proper wad instead of 1oz for for 1 1/8oz

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

J.T.: The "C1" P/W bushing is close to the 16 grains you are looking for.

Actually, the ID of the bushing should be around 0.330".

I don't use, but have some and when I get a chance I want to duplicate the Nitro 27 load for handicap. Its a killer from 27 yards as a new shell.

Whiz

19. powder-em

powder-em Member

I load Win hulls, Ched Prim. #15 Mec bushing AA12 Wads. Chrony @ 1145 FPS. Best 16yd. load I have ever came up with. Smokes targets with very low recoil. #8 or 8.5. Tightgroup is the only 16 yd powder I use anymore. Some of my other buddies use #16 and #17 bushings but get no better breaks and alot more recoil. My 2 cents for all its worth. Good shooting to ya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec bushing titewad powder
mec powder bushing for tightgroup

recipe for tite group powder and down range wads

tight group 1 oz loads
tite group powder
tite group powder mec bushing
titegroup best powder
titegroup for 28 gauge