1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titegroup or Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoke-um, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Any experience with these two powders pros and cons ?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yes. Both are excellent powders, and you can't go wrong with either.

Titegroup is what I use for my 1-1/8 ounce handicap loads, and Clays for my 1 ounce singles/doubles loads.

Clays gets kind of high pressure if you try to use it for 1-1/8 ounce and push it too fast.

What loads are you cosidering?

3. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

I looking to load one shell for trap all three events 1-1/8 7 1/2 shot between a 2 3/4 dram and 3 dram load .

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, you'll have to decide, slow or fast.

If slow, go with Clays.

If fast, go with Titegroup.

5. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

I want a load about 1175 to 1180 fps and shoot it on everything .

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

At that speed, I would lean towards Titegroup.

However, there's really not that much difference between 1145 and 1180, and your shoulder will like it better.

What hulls, primers, and wad do you have in mind?

I will mention that for 1-1/8, using Remington hulls, Remington primers, the Remington TGT-12S (or the Downrange clone) wad, and Titegroup is an excellent combination.

7. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Im using sts hulls figure 8 wad and win. primers .

8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've used Clays for years. I like it. Mainly for singles. Charlie

9. open choke

open choke TS Member

I use gun clubs, win primers, and I tried the white 8 for 1 1/8 oz and the AA 1oz wads.

I like the Titegroup so far but I haven't shot that many reloads with it yet.

Also it's a very fine powder. So it takes up less room in the hull. There is another thread on here that suggests using the 1 1/8 wad for both 1 1/8 and 1oz loads. I tried this and got better crimps on the 1oz shells.

Read these also.....good luck

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=302121&Messages=16

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=300454&Messages=19

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I will confirm, if you have Fig8s then Clays at less than 1200ft/sec is what you want. If you have TGTs then Titegroup is great. I keep both powders on hand as I like Clays better for 1oz and Titegroup for handicap, Nitro27 clones.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have loaded TG for everything from 24 gram 1350+ Bunker loads to 1 1/8 oz at 1250. Super clean powder, works great. I "save" it for pistol ammo.

Clays is very fast, and is spiky in heavy loads. I believe I would go with Alliant ClayDot over the Hodgdon product. Same burn speed, even cleaner than Clays.

Red Dot can go from 3/4 oz at 1000 to 1 1/8 at 1250 with appropriate recipe loads.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Joe

Your combination with 18 grains of Clays will work fine.

If you decide to go with Titegroup, I would go with 16.5 grains of powder and change to the TGT-12S or Downrange equivalent wad.

Check the Hodgdon data tables to confirm.

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Ron Reiber from Hodgdon told me TiteGroup is the perfect powder
    for trap loads, 45ACP, 9mm and .40 pistol loads. It's the only
    powder I now use for all 4 applications.

14. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that's funny...??

...I called Hodgdon with about the same question last year. However the question was "specifically" for 1200fps. shot shells. He (forgot his name)said Clays, and didn't hesitate. I didn't mention other applications though...just 1200fps target loads.

Maybe that's the difference.

I followed their advice...and love the load.

I use either the Remington STS or the Winchester HS hull, with the Downrange Hybrid wad (8 petal..which is suitable for both hulls).

15. below 0

below 0 TS Member

What is the cost difference between the two powders? I'm presently useing International for Hdcp but would certainly change. Odie

16. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I am very happy with TITEWAD. 17.1 grains, STS or Gun Club hull, Windjammer wad, Win 209 or Cheddite primers, 1-1/8 7.5s. My current cost is $4.35 per box to reload.

17. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

below 0..

I haven't looked at the Titegroup chart loading data lately...but Clays max recommended fps. loading data is 1200 fps., in fact that's as high as the Hodgdon chart goes on that powder.

If I recall correctly, pressures arn't friendly with anything faster.

Stan...

18. FLIP

FLIP Member

wish you guys would quit talking about Titegroup,it will be hard to find next,great powder!

19. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

I've been using 700x for years but having issues with lot to lot differences my load is 17.5 grains sts hull win primer fig.8 wad about 1175 to 1180 fps. looking for a consistent drop charge and minim recoil i shoot this load on all three events in trap ? PS 1-1/8 7 1/2

20. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

For those thinking about these two different powders, there is a note of caution. Clays is a bulky flaky powder. It takes up a lot of room in the case, even more than Int'l Clays. So you need to use what I consider "standard wads" for 1 1/8 like the Rem Fig, Win WAA12, etc.

Titegroup is a very dense powder that takes up very little room in the case. So you NEED to use a taller wad to make up the difference. For 1 1/8 use Rem TGT12, Orange Winchester, even 1oz Windjammers work.

If you try to use Fig8 wads with TG you will NOT be happy with the crimps. Dished to the point that shot may come out.

So consider all of this if you are heavily invested in a certain wad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.