1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titegroup (Mec)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Using a Mec., approx. bushing for 19 grs. using Titegroup?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be a smart a$$, but use the one your scale indicates you should. Bushing charts strictly are approximations and powder varies in weight by production lot, so the bushing that drops 19.0 grains of Titegroup for someone else may not for you. Also, if you pause longer at the bottom of the stroke, you will get heavier drops than someone who doesn't pause as long.

Seriously - DO NOT load without a scale!

Ed

3. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Thanks Ed but I need to buy the bushing first - the smallest I have is a 29.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I understand. In that case, check online with Precision Reloading. They sell or at least used to sell a set of MEC bushings - with a case, I believe - for a reasonable price. It's what I bought when I went back to a MEC several years ago.

Ed

5. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

My 18 bushing throws 17.7 grains of titegroup. I have friend who has 2 18 bushings & none of them throw the same charge. One throws 17.4 & the other throws 18. But if I was you I'd get a mec bushing chart to get a starting point. Hodgen has one in there book for there powders.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

19, 20, or 21. A scale will tell you for sure. Click on the link.

Wayne

7. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Thanks, it appears to be a 20 but to be safe I will order 19, 20 & 21.

Now, for the rest of the story - Fed. Field & Range hull, 1 1/8 oz., CB 12S3 clone, Rio. primer, 1250fps. If I go to another hull, the pressure jumps too much so I need to stay with the Fed. hull but it appears that it's going to be a dish crimp - any thoughts on how to alleviate this? It crimps great in a Rem. hull but I have to drop down to 1200fps. Federal says I can go 19 1/2 grs. and get 1255fps. in a Fed. hull with a Fed. primer, but then there's the dish problem.

8. dontate

dontate Member

I load Titegroup for singles and caps using a Mec 9000 hydraulic loader. The Mec bushings I use are 18/ singles throws average of 17.8 to 18.2 and a 20/ caps which throws and average of about 19.5 to 19.8. I think I would be cautious with a #21 bushing as to having a substantially hot load. The powder works well for me, very consistent and relatively clean burning. A little goes a long way! I'm with Average Ed get that scale out!

9. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

try inserting a pinto bean. then if u shoot over a bean field u can tell everbody u planted it. have a great day howard

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use a Grabber with a 24, and my powder charge is 18.0 with that bushing. I don't know how you folks get it with smaller bushings.

Another reason to use a scale.

HM

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Now, for the rest of the story - Fed. Field & Range hull, 1 1/8 oz., CB 12S3 clone, Rio. primer, 1250fps. If I go to another hull, the pressure jumps too much so I need to stay with the Fed. hull but it appears that it's going to be a dish crimp - any thoughts on how to alleviate this? It crimps great in a Rem. hull but I have to drop down to 1200fps. Federal says I can go 19 1/2 grs. and get 1255fps. in a Fed. hull with a Fed. primer, but then there's the dish problem.</i>

Go to a 12S0, 1oz wad. TD is a dense powder, use a longer wad. With RemChester & TG, folks have to do the same thing: go a wad smaller.

Bob

12. open choke

open choke TS Member

Hogdon told me for a progressive press these bushings should work for these drops on a grabber or 9000:

19 - 18.1
    18 - 17.1
    17 - 16.2

You guys are scaring me. I ordered these bushings to use the tight group myself. I hope I will have the right sizes

13. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Open choke, your bushings are right on the money, you are golden, but have a scale. I have a 9000 Mec and use those three bushings. May you farewell sir. Scott

bushing 19 handicap load
    bushing 18 second shot doubles 3 dram load
    bushing 17 singles 2 3/4 dram load

All 1 1/8 oz loads Remington hulls TGT wad.

14. porky

porky TS Member

Mec bushings cannot be determined by the chart for exact weight charges that will be dropped by any of their bushings. The chart is used to give you a general idea of about where the bushing will be and that depends on the powder. You will be doing your self a favor if you see what the chart gives for your powder and then buying a bushing on the higher side and one on the lower side. I have Mec bushings that are off by as much as a grain. Remember the chart is to get you in the ball park and is not to be considered as absolutely correct in dropped weight values.

15. porky

porky TS Member

There was a recipe that was derived from the Remington people who make the Remington Gold Nitro Handicap loads because Titegroup looked so much like the powder that used to be used in them. It was a Remington STS Green or Gold Nitro Hull(not the cheap Gun Club target or field loads) with a Remington Primer(to keep the chamber pressure down) a 1 oz (Green) Downrange wad ( replacement Figure 8 Remington 1 oz wad to get a good crimp and keep the chamber pressure down ) and 18.4 grains of Titegroup. These were once fired hulls. Hulls with more rounds thru them will give you less speed due to gases leakage around the wad resulting in less fps.

And that's all I have to say about that.

16. open choke

open choke TS Member

Thanks for confirming the bushing sizes.

I'm doing this off hand so I won't quite the specs but be so gave me a 1oz recipe that he said will work nice if I open up that 18 bushing so I got 2 of those to make a custom size

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec bushing chart tightgroup

mec bushing for titegroup

mec bushing titegroup powder

mec powder bushing for tightgroup
mec titegroup bushings
titegroup mec bushing
titegroup powder mec reloader