1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titegroup bloopers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by djpk69, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Just loaded 50 shells :17.5 grams Titegroup / 1-1/8 oz. / TGT-12 wad/Win 209. Had 2 bloopers out of 1 box (wad left in barrel). Using a MEC 650.Is there a trick to getting consistent powder drops?

2. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

If the wad was left in the barrel, it sounds like no powder at all. A hot primer by itself will usually push both shot and wad clear.

3. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Titegroup does not drop consistently from my Hornaday 366. Sold remainder of powder to a friend.

Danny

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I argee. there wasn't any powder. But Why?. I like Titegroup but would never want to "double" load the powder.Not sure a Win 209 will push a wad out? Regardless, I have 8 lbs. Will check my bar setting again.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

dkusner,

I've loaded about 20lbs of Titegroup and find to be a very consistant dropping powder. I rarely had more than 1 to 2 tenths of a grain deviation. A good consistant pull and a smooth sliding bar always help the situation. If you live in the northern climates where the cool weather has set in and the furnace has been running make sure to run a humidifier in your reloading area. This will drastically cut down on the amount of static electricity. Static electricity is the biggest problem with making good consistant reloads in the winter.

ec90t

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The cavity is small, I found that if I stop on the bottom of the stroke for a split second so the powder can flow in I never have bloopers.

Operating the loader too fast can make small powder charges, since it is so dense.

HM

7. smokeshow

smokeshow Member

Ground your loader if possible. We had inconsistent powder charges, grounded loader and have had no problems since. One of the best handicap powers on the market!

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Think I figured it out.I remember 2-3 shells that had no shot in them. I thought it was blocked shot problem,but, it was probably that the charge bar didn't travel far enough. Will have to fiddle with it and make sure it travels right.Will also GROUND......is it safe to use the ground off an outlet ?? or is there a chance for backfeeding??

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Not sure grounding really helps, but it might. There was a thread a couple years ago where a guy had a pretty compelling argument that grounding really didn't help. That being said, I still ground my reloaders.

Also, you might try a dryer fabric softener sheet in your powder tube.

Again, not sure if it really helps, but it can't hurt (unless you get the dryer sheet stuck in your bushing.)

10. halfmile

The dryer sheet works. Put it in the powder bottle, If it's too big just cut a 2 inch strip. Secure it with the cap.

When the bar travels make sure the securing screw goes to the end of the slot. the actuating rod will stretch over time.

And remember to pause at the bottom of the stroke, to fill the cavity. since I started doing this I have had NO misfires other than a bad primer or 2.

HM

11. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

That was the problem...checked this morning and my rod must have stretched.I was 3/16" away from the securing screw.No thoughts on the SAFTEY of grounding to an outlet's ground?I can SEE where grounding could take out the static.My options are ground to an outlet /or go straight down to my slab and put in a tapcon.My concern is ...if I go to an outlet's ground...and have a backfeed???

12. halfmile

Don't bother with a ground. Use the dryer sheet, one will be good for at least a year.

HM

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

dkusner

If you decide to ground your loader, even to the ground on an outlet, you should place a 1 MegOhm 1/2 Watt resistor in series into the circuit. The resistor will not prevent the flow of static electricity to ground, but will isolate the loader from any faults or voltage differentials in the ground circuits. We use the resistors in all of our ESD grounding devices. It's primarily for the safety of the person connected to, or working with it. You can buy them at Radio Shack and they are not expensive. A buck or two for a package.

14. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

One other thing to watch with MEC progressives, is that the bar springs back on the up stroke. If it does not, you will have a shell with no powder and no shot.

Jason

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Usually with a MEC loader, when problems pop up with powder or shot drops, bottles tightened too much is the main culprit. Hap

16. IM390

IM390 Member

Your are grounding the press, not the plastic powder bottle. Ignition would require a arck with lots of heat directly on the powder.

Take a large needle and poke several holes in the red powder bottle cap and that will reduce back pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.