1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tite Group Powder ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by black lab, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black lab

black lab TS Member

Does anyone out there load Tite Group powder with Federal primers. If you do what kind of speed and pressure are you getting. I know the duplicate for the Nitro calls for a rem primer but I have about 20,000 federals I want to get rid of first.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

There is no load data for Titegroup using Federal primers. The only two primers that have any data are Remington and Wincheseter.

I have contacted Hodgdon and I'm waiting for a reply about any info on the usage of other primers for firing Titegroup. I will post this info when they send it to me.

ec90t

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ec90t,

I recommend calling them. Works much better than e-mail, which you may or may not get a prompt reply.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Timb99,
    I just a reply from Mike Daly at Hodgdon and he stated that a CCI209M primer could be substituted for a Remington 209 in my recipe.

I shoot 18gr of Titegroup in a Remington hull with a tgt-12s wad and either 1 oz or 1 1/8th oz of shot. I don't shoot anything closer than the 25yd line so I have no use for a load any lighter than that.

I always thought that CCI primers were a little hotter than either Remington or Winchester 209's. I will load a few and give them a try.

ec90t

5. black lab

black lab TS Member

Thanks for replying ec90t. I know there isn't a recipe out there using the Federal primers. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and what were their results.

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You may need to reduce the powder drop. Some powders drop a grain less when a Fed primer is used because its a hotter primer.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

kx-5,

I will sometimes play around a little with powders and primers to get a "pet load". Titegroup develops too much pressure change with very little increses with powder drops that makes it a little to scary to play with. I would like to see some info come around for straight hull loads using Titegroup.

ec90t

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would not use 209M primers with Titegroup till someone tested a batch.

The Nitro duplicate loads are right up there. I Would use Cheddites and have used Fiocchi but I think the 209M is hotter.

I mostly use Remington If I can find them.

HM

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'm with you Halfmile. If the info didn't come from Hodgdon, I'd be skeptical.

ec90t

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Titegroup powder seems to develop some fairly high pressures in some loads. I'd be careful about swapping to a hotter primer like the Federal 209A without some reliable data. You could always load up a batch and send them out for pressure and velocity testing. I would personally just buy the right primers for the load I want use and reserve the Federals for loads that I have data for. You could always try to trade them with someone for a more appropriate primer. I would be very cautious about following ANY advice that recommends a direct replacement with the Remington primer, or even the Winchester.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.