1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Titanium chokes - Worth the investment?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BarryA, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryA

BarryA Member

Are the Titanium chokes worth the additional cost? I don't feel the lighter weight is a selling point for me, but pattern consistency is. Your opinions are appreciated.

Barry

2. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Bottom line to me...no. I have an IC and an LM that I got on discount from Cabelas. Pattern-wise they are just another Briley choke tube. The difference in weight is not enough that I can tell any difference. Glad I didn't pay full price.

3. A solid B

A solid B TS Member

Is there any way to check on where Federal is on there rebates? I sent my rebate entry in while at the grand.Three months is plenty long enough to issue a check.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Just another way to turn a commodity item into something with a higher profit margin.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Barry, I also feel its just a marketing ploy to part you with your money. Stick with your Stainless Steel chokes. Unless of course you need some extended chokes so you can change them easy, and view the constriction with a quick glance without having to remove them. Break-em all. Jeff

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

They're lighter than stainless. Some guys say they are sensitive enough to gun balance that the weight of a couple of long tight stainless choke tubes hanging off the front of their gun wrecks their technique.

MK

7. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have noticed they do not foul as bad as steel. thanks Ronnie

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The internal smoothness of choke tubes is far more important to me than minuscule weight differences! The higher the internal polish which includes the choke areas, the less trash they collect and hold. Maybe the question should be; does titanium metal polish to a higher "rem" count smoothness than stainless and high carbon steels? If the answer to that question is yes, then they will be better, long term. As per Ronnie's experiences above? Dunno, I've never owned one.

Hap

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gary, you bring up a point that did not think about!!! Stainless Steel is not magnetic!!! So you should not be able to use one of the magnetic rest pads with the extended Stainless Steel chokes as well. Of course there are many different grades of Stainless Steel, so your results may vary. Break-em all. Jeff

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have no trouble using several magnetic gun pads with chokes by Wright, Angle-Port, Carlson, Trulock and Briley.

The titanium choke tubes are the ones you'll have problems with.
    MK

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My personal opinion.. for what it's worth.. is unless you have a very long.. heavy choketube.. there is not enough weight savings for it to matter.. Winchokes,Rem chokes,series 2 series 26.. I doubt if they would really matter.. The Perazzi tube is quite thick..and with an extended tube.. you might barely notice a little weight savings.. I think a titanium extended choke tube in a Perazzi would have the same weight as a steel flush tube..\

Titanium weights about 60% of steel.. weigh what you have.. and you be the judge.. remember.. the longer your barrels are.. the heavier weight on the ends feel..

All Good.. Mike BTW.. I made a Cutts choketube out of Titanium..It worked as well as anything.. and better than nothing.. Just expensive metal.. hard to cut.. Well.. it doesn't rust.. but neither does stainless..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.