1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tire size change ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Aug 9, 2013.

1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

the 225/65/17 tires on my escape are shot. i have a set of like new 235/70/16 that came off my explorer.the bolt pattern is the same.if i put the 16" on how will it effect the speedometer?

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Use a GPS and it will tell you how slow your speedometer is to actual speed. Tom

3. gaengineer

gaengineer Member

If you're speedometer was correct before, the speedometer should register about 1 mile an hour less than actual at 60 mph. The faster you go, the more it will be off, and similarly, the slower you go, the less the error. True speed will be about 1.7% greater than that shown on the speedo. As Tom said, get a GPS because it may have not been exact before with the factory setup.

Marcus

4. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Phone a tyre dealer and quote him the tyre sizes and ask for number of revolutions per mile for each size, then you can calculate the difference in term of %, or use the GPS as previously stated

Argus Tuft

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

you might want to check the backspacing and such..the calipers might interfere inside the smaller rim

6. Tom2536

Tom2536 TS Member

This will help

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-height-chart/

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Larger tire and say your dash says 60 you might be going 65MPH. But with smaller tires and your dash says 60 you might be going 55MPH.