1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Tire pressure warning devices

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by John Galt, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Question for RVers: Do you use any type of wireless low tire pressure warning device for your RV or toad tires while you're traveling. I've had tires come apart on my 5th wheel and this can sure do a lot of damage. Been looking at warning devices but would like to know which of them, if any, that you folks would recommend based upon your experience.

Camping World sells one called Tire Minder that sounds good but it isn't clear if it needs a signal booster/repeater or not. Any help in this area would be appreciated. None of these things are cheap and I sure don't want to waste my money on something useless.
  2. j2jake

j2jake Active Member

I don't have the Camping world set but I use a like item. I have 6 on motorhome and 4 on trailer. System works great and did not need repeter. Jake
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

John,

They won't by any way shape or form tell you when or if a tire is gonna come apart. While proper air pressure is certanly important on tire maintance I can tell you from many miles behind a windshield of a big truck that when a tire is ready to blow, it's gonna blow. I have had what I believe more than my share of blown truck tires and they seldom to never give you a warning. That said, those systems are great for alerting you of any air loss which can prevent more serious tire issues. I had a tire pressure system on a truck I drove. The company had several trucks of their fleet with them installed. I liked it but as a driver sitting behind the wheel for hours on end, it gave me something else to stare at. The system they had on my truck would actually air the trailer tires up to maintain proper pressure. It is made by Hendrickson. It was coupled in with the tariler air bag suspension system.
  4. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

JOHN
    I also had more than my share of blowouts on my 5th wheel.
    The solution I came to was to REPLACE any tire over 4 years old.
    Once I began doing this the problem went away(while still doing daily
    pressure tests)I was led to this by one manufactures warranty policies,
    over 4 years old-NO MORE WARRANTY.
    HOPE THIS HELPS
    JIM
  5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

j2jake, actually Camping World sells several brands and I just gave one as an example. What brand do you have, what does it cost, and where can one get it?

Thanks for the link, grntitan, but that system appears to be made for 18 wheelers or possibly motorhomes with airbag suspensions. All I'm looking for is a simple, relatively inexpensive system for trailers. Granted, nothing can warn of an impending blowout but a pressure leak can be identified and rectified prior to failure.

Actually, Jim, I've had tires fail well prior to 4 years so that's not much help. It's damn hard to find a trailer tire not made in China these days and they tend to be crappy. In any case, what I'm interested in is finding a pressure leak BEFORE it leads to tire failure, i.e. taking a nail or other object in the tire. If a crappy tire fails because it's crappy, there's nothing I can do about that.
  6. high 2

high 2 Member

I pulled a Montana 3400RL for 3 years and blew a tire just about every time I went anywhere. I tore the hell out of the trailer 3 times because of the blowouts. I bought a tire minder and saved damage last fall going to the world skeet championships. It sounded off just north of Waco. We traded off the Montana for a new Redwood and will not pull it without the tire minder. It has worked great for me. It will pay for its self the first time it let's you know about a bad tire. Larry
  7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

high 2, did you need a repeater/signal booster to use it with your 5th wheel?
  8. high 2

high 2 Member

No, I've never had a problem with it. I bought the 22 tire model. I pull a 20ft Nitro bass boat behind the 5th wheel a couple times a year. It picks up the tire monitors on the boat trailer without a problem, and they're a long way behind us. About 75-80ft
  9. 221

221 Well-Known Member

Blowouts on OTR trucks are directly related to tire pressure, one of a pair looses pressure and super-heats------bang. Another way was to connect the duals together, so when one went flat they both did. Hired drivers will usually get the idea if 2 tires are going flat, then they will stop. Now they are pressurizing both tires or 4 tires through the axle. Unless one has a large hole in it they will all stay inflated.

If you are blowing up single tires, they will have a history of being run hot while under-inflated.

"GALT"....I'm shocked that you required such mediocre advice. Even zero knows how important proper inflation is.....ROFLMAO.....such ignorance is rampant.

If you cannot find trailer tires that are not made in china.....quit being so cheap ...My family's safety on the highways depends on it.

In most states having a blow out is a chargeable violation.

The only relationship to the air ride system is the supply point for the tire pressure system, just as the brakes supply the air ride.
  10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

221, you say, "In most states having a blowout is a chargeable violation."

You are kidding aren't ya? Never heard of it in Texas, or anywhere else for that matter.

GneJ
  11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Looks like a libtard escaped from the asylum again. May he soon be recaptured and returned to....

[​IMG]
  12. 221

221 Well-Known Member

hippie....NO,I'm not joking....

galt ....your a moron.....grow up. If your having that much trouble with tires you should buy a pressure gauge and learn how to use it. Most tire blowouts are caused by ignorance. By people that are too lazy to keep them inflated or fix a leak. Using cheap chinese tires is also a no-brainer, but we knew that about you, galt, now didn't we.
  13. 221

221 Well-Known Member

hippie....NO,I'm not joking....

galt ....your a moron.....grow up. If your having that much trouble with tires you should buy a pressure gauge and learn how to use it. Most tire blowouts are caused by ignorance. By people that are too lazy to keep them inflated or fix a leak. Using cheap chinese tires is also a no-brainer, but we knew that about you, galt, now didn't we.
  14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Thanks for the info about the tire minder high 2- sounds like that's what I need.

Hippie, you aren't buying into that nonsense about tire blowouts being a violation of the law are you? The one who came up with that fantasy might not have been joking but definitely is a joke.
  15. tom berry

tom berry Member

I've reviewed 1000's of Motor Vehicle Records while underwriting heavy truck insurance. I've never seen a violation listed for a blown tire. I've seen citations listed as MISC. They are generally ignored as we don't know what they are for.

Now, I've seen many equipment violations on a motor carrier file for poor tires, usually tread depth or cords showing.
  16. 221

221 Well-Known Member

t berry, your right it's an equipment violation. In most states scattering tire material all over a freeway is highly frowned upon. You blow a couple of tires all over the road and you leave it there, you can and will get a ticket. In the trucking industry situations like that are looked on as lack of maintenance, unsafe equipment, or operator neglect. It's no different than a load falling off a truck, or parts off an airplane. People have died as a result of blown tires, that have caused accidents. I saw a car in Chicago that had all the glass on the driver side blown out and the body beat to hell from a truck tire.

Desk jockeys have a hard time comprehending reality outside their cubicle. Most Americans that punch a clock, or spend their life behind a desk have no concept of the rules and regulations others have to deal with every day. Even over the counter cold medication "CAN" get an OTR driver busted.....I've never heard of it happening, It's in the federal book. So don't ever think that blowing tires on the highway cannot get you busted.

I'd bet even galt saw the episode on mythbusters about a blown tire decapitating a motorcycle rider.
  17. 221

221 Well-Known Member

NOW, back to idiot proofing a 5th wheel or motor home....BUY A TIRE GAUGE,,,,,LEARN HOW TO USE IT
  18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

It's amazing how some people of the looney leftist persuasion can't grasp the simple fact that tires sometimes meet up with nails, screws, bolts and other things that put holes in them allowing the air to escape, unknown to the operator until it's too late.

While checking tire pressures is important is doesn't eliminate tire damage due to low pressure and it definitely doesn't do didly for manufacturing defects or overloading. Just because a tire starts out with the correct pressure doesn't mean that it will arrive at it's destination with plenty of air (see para 1). This is obvious to any and all rational people who have ever had a flat tire.

I've gotten all the useful info I'm going to get from this thread so I won't be opening it again. Nonsensical blather about tire gages will be lost on me.
  19. motordoctor

motordoctor Me and my new wiife Staff Member

i was just about to start a thread on tire monitors. I am using a system made by truck system technologies. It monitors both pressure and temperature. It comes with 4 or 6 sensors and can be upgraded to monitor up to 22 tires. You can set high and low limits for both pressure and temperature and it reads out on a remote unit on the dash. The dash unit is battery operated and is plugged into the lighter or wired direct to charge the battery. Each monitor screws onto the valve stem and does not require disassembly of the tire or rim and also has a anti theft feature that requires a special tool to remove or install that is included. I am now using this unit and selling these units and think they are great and use them myself. You can install it yourself and it is easy to set up. You can use it on a trailer or another vehicle as all the tires are able to be programmed individually. check out the web site and get back to me if you are interested in purchase. THIS IS THE 507 SERIES. I'll make you a deal,including the shipping to you and no sales tax. They are brand new in factory package. You can also get extra monitors or only buy the 4 monitor set if that is all you need. Questions contact me. Read the reviews and make a decision. See for yourself. They also send an alarm if the air pressure drops too fast. They are wired into the cigar lighter or main wire harness to recharge the battery in the monitor unit. motordoc
    [​IMG]
  20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Very interesting thread. Surprised that "Slime" was not mentioned?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.