1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TIRE pressure in a 3/4 ton diesel???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by poacherjoe, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Just wondering what pressure you Guy's run in your 3/4 ton diesels?My PU eats tires and I have tried most brands out there.Any and all advice will help. I generally don't tow anything except my bass boat!As far as 4 wheeling goes the truck is to damn heavy up front!I am currently running Cooper H/T in 235/85/16

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What pressure does the owners manual say or the sticker on the door jam about tire pressure?

Eric

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Not to be a smart a** look on the side of the tire and it will say what pressure to run. Each tire is different in most cases.

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Joe: first of all tell us year, engine, regular cab or 4 door. Trucks should not eat tires. A good alignment shop should be able to fix you up. I run max cold pressure in my rears and about 15 psi less in the fronts. I haul 26 foot enclosed race car trailer with 0 tire problems. I personnelly do not like Goodyears.P.M me if you have problems.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Leadman,

Unless truck tire are different than car tires, the pressure on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure of the tire not the recomended inflation pressure.

Eric

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

55 front 70 rear on a load range E tire.

7. poacherjoe

The recommened tire pressure is 65 front and 85 rear.The truck is a 99 quad cab 4-4 with the 24 valve cummins.It came with 245/75/16 tires .I have gotten 40.000 out of the michelins and everything else is much less.Everyone I talk to has a different theory on how much pressure to run and I was curious what I might find out on this site

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

poacherjoe; there is good information and bad so beware the pressuer listed on the side of the tire, that is a mximum pressuer and not a running pressuer. Having thrity years in the tire industry, I need more information before givning advise. 1) What ply rating are on the sidewall of the tire? You will find it listed as Load Range E or D? 2) You mentioned that the trk eats tires more information need here as well, Is the wear even across the tread area of the tire? Is one side of the tread area worn more thatn the other or are the tires wearing down to the tread wear bars evenly but quickly? What kind of maintenance schedule are you on for the tires? Air pressuer is adjusted to compensate and or carry weight load. There is a or can be a wide range in air pressuer based on how heavily loaded the vehicle is and how often. PM me if you'd like, but a good empty weight air pressuer for you tires would be 45PSI cold and 55 to 60 PSI cold when loaded. Adjust according to desired ride quality by lowering or increasing by 5 PSI empty and cold.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My take on all of this is tire size. The footprint of the tire size is very small for the load being carried, primarily the front. I'll bet that the tires are wearing even and the truck doesn't pull from side to side, just the fronts are wearing a lot quicker than the rears.

The next time tires are purchased look into getting some 265's. They carry the load of a diesel P/U much better.

ec90t

10. poacherjoe

ec90t may have the answer.I was told that the taller tire that I am now using would get better milage so I went with it! Bruce I am running Cooper Discoverer H/T load range E.The tires are rotated every 5-6 thousand miles.The tire wears evenly.I run empty and I increase pressure when I haul a load.The only thing I carry alot is my quad to hunt with.It weighs 550 lbs.I have tried Big-O,Dunlaps,Capital*a cheap off brand,BF Goodrich,Michelin and now Cooper.I am running 60 psi all around at present.These tires have only 1000 miles on them.If I draw an out of state tag I pull a trailer 3000 miles once a year!

11. poacherjoe

Let's rephrase the question. What tires have you had the best luck with and what size and pressure do you run in an empty 3/4 ton diesel truck?

12. poacherjoe

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

What does Obama say? <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Gifs/?action=view&current=MonkeyLaugh.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

14. Bruce Specht

poacherjoe, what milage are you getting out of the tires? Are the rears dual or single? Are you cross rotating? Keep in mind the first 2/32nds of tread wear quickly then the wear slows. That size tire sholud deliver 40 to 55k. I wouldn't expect more than that.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like coopers, I run 75 in the back 65 in the front on 18" wheels.

Tires have about 15,000 hard working miles and show little wear.

16. poacherjoe

Bruce: The tires that I listed above gave me 30 to 35,000 miles, Except the Michelin's gave me 40 and I probably could have pushed them for more except I was going out of state and I felt better with new tread!The tire guy,s rotate and I would have to ask them about cross rotating them.The tire shop recomends 60 lbs front and back.The main reason this bothers me is that my 1988 dakota can go 80,000 on a set.I didn't realize that the weight of a 3/4 ton would have so much affect on tire wear.Some people are running the 265 tires and they are getting more wear out of them.I was told that 235/85/16 would get better milage and being narrow it would provide more traction in snow but the overall milage rating isn't working for me.Like I said I don't do much towing,The truck is driven on the pavement for the most part.I would like to find the right pressure for this new set of coopers so as to get the most out of them.By the way they are single axle

17. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

I have a 08 Chevy Duramax 4 door. I haul a 32 foot travel trailer and a 25 ft tandem dual gooseneck. I am in Ag so I travel all roads and I run 62 all the way around. I have also run 62 in all of my Dodge PU ( eight of them) had good luck at this PSI all the time. Good luck Corey

18. Bruce Specht

poacherjoe, Are the tires worn to the tread wear bar at 30K? I would say that you should get somewhere in the 40 to 50K before the tire is legally bald 2/32nd tread depth. The problem with most product is that as it gets older heating and cooling and the tread wears we loose wet traction. How old are the tires that your buying? Check the last 3 digits of the DOT # 503 as example would be a tire built the 50th week of 2003. Tires that have sat in a warehouse get brittle and the tread can wear faster than it should. The tire shop is correct the narrower tire will dliver better wet and snow traction and less rolling resistance, the other side of the coin is a somewhat rougher ride. As I stated earlier I would run the tires @ 45 to 50 psi cold and increase air pressuers to carry weight load as needed.

19. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Go and have a doctor remove the lead in your right foot. Worked for me.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

On my Duramax I have my second set of Mastercraft Courser AFT's 265/75R16 M+S. I run them at 60 psi front and back. Got 72,000 on the last set, but I seldom pull anything heavy. Great all round tire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.