1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips using bondo?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm about to add some bondo to my development stock. Any tips? A guy at the club said to add it in thin layers so it won't crack. I'll be adding some to the front and back of the grip and from what I call the 'hip' to the toe, which will be quite alot.

Can I use my wife's hair dryer to speed up the drying process?

Thanks. Joe

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Thin and a hair dryer works fine.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Joe, The stuff is easy to work with and hardens in a few minutes, no need for a hair dryer. You won't likely be putting it on thick enough to worry about cracking. If it does just grind it down and apply more. If you mix in too much hardener it can harden as you are applying it.

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

That is one weird lookin' stock. Keep us posted please. Jake

5. joe kuhn

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I'm going to develope this shooting model until it's exactly what I want and then send it back to Dennis to duplicate in wood that I bought from Gordy. From the comb to the toe, 8-1/4 inches. From the butt end center line to the outside of the toe it's 2 inches. It's kicked out pretty far, but that's what fits. Will be digging into the bondo soon.

6. mt

mt Member

That's very neat...i applaud your efforts.

My only thought / concern is that the wood looks like it would have to be very wide/large to accomodate the significant drop required for the pad as well as the foward and low design of the grip.

Do you anticipate making it all from one piece of wood or will you maintain the adjustable pad design.

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I used a marine grade fiberglass/body filler. It was very smooth and easy to work when semi dry. used it to build up comb and palm swell.

8. joe kuhn

Drop from the rib to the comb is 1-1/4 inches.

I don't know the dims of the piece of wood from Gordy, but I'm hoping most of the solution will be wood rather than adj pad. With the dims I've got, it'll probably end up being some of both - wood and adj pad.

I've added quite a bit of lead weight to some 13/16 inch holes inside the stock, so I may ask Gordy to trade back into a bigger piece of heavy wood. That's down the road.

Balance point is currently just in front of the opener button. This will change some with the additional bondo, which is what I want.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.