1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on using blinders on glasses ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DOWN UNDER HUNTER, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

DOWN UNDER HUNTER TS Member

Can any of you guys who use blinders on your glasses give me some tips about using them correctly ? Are any colors better than another white, black etc. Also how far should you have them extend forward ? Probably just personal taste ?

I have purchased some HIdef glasses and wish to try blinders for trap. Hope they can only improve my concentration levels.. Me against the machine !

Thanks

DUH

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Keeps unintentional movement from your other shooters from distracting you. I liked mine far enough forward to blockout the other shooters. I had the velcro ones and they were red/white/blue.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I make mine out of leather!

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

DUH I prefer mine as far forward as possible. The ones I have on my glasses now extend 1/4"-5/16" in front of my frames. Also I prefer Black in color as it seems to keep the glare to a minimum for me anyway.

Bob Lawless

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Install them, put glasses on your face, then forget about them and focus on the targets! They are there to keep you from getting distracted and to keep wind/dirt out of your eyes. They give them away with the glasses when you buy them and have two holes already cut so they are adjusted right from the factory...... Don't over think these things.

Mr. Mark

6. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

DOWN UNDER HUNTER TS Member

Thanks for the tips !

Just was not sure if a darker colour may have been better than light or reverse ??

DUH

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The black or dark side goes on the inside. They help, but do not eliminate distracting movement of other shooters. Blinders do reduce glare from the Sun which is typically behind us on the line. Blinders on both shooters and horses tend to keep our attention forward.

For some shooters who sweat a lot, blinders are a problem. They reduce air flow behind the glasses and at times will cause lens fogging. This is more of a problem in the North. Southern gentlemen never perspire in public.

Blinders are easy to make and they are given away free at many shoots.

Pat Ireland

8. Doc G

Doc G Member

I find the blinders given out by the various vendors to be too small and not extending far enough forward, especially on my right side when someone has the habit of moving their barrel up as I'm mounting the gun. So I make my own.

I get one of the thin plastic folders from the drug store or office supply store. Using one of the standard blinders as a pattern, I then trace it onto the plastic, extending it forward and downward as desired, and mark where the holes are for the glasses. After cutting the new shape out, I punch the holes with a single-hole paper punch, and add a few holes around the edges to allow additional air flow to prevent fogging. Making it from the plastic also makes them waterproof.

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I find blinders to be nothing but a distraction, in my opinion of course. I think 90% of people that wear them only use them because of the 10% of people who actually use them because they help their shooting.

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have for years avoided using blinders. However, this weekend I used them and I suspect that the use of them enabled me to see the target much better. I typically try not to focus on more than the front of the trap. However occasionally I see someone on an adjacent field moving forward to fill a trap and have found that I might loose focus. The blinders seem to help me reduce this distraction.

11. GRR

GRR TS Member

I use blinders for one reason only....because of the dumb-ass to my right who can't keep the gun down until I finish shooting. If your one of them, go shoot skeet.....

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Down Under, I have a pair of winchesters and a pair of Federals. PM me your address and choice and i'll send you a pair. Bulge.

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I never used blinders until one day we were shooting in about 15mph cross winds and I started getting sand in my eyes. So I made some up out of cardboard in my car. It blocked the wind and didn't bother me shooting. So I started using the ones that come with the Ranger glasses. The problem was that the way they attach means that the blinder ends up touching the side of my head and made me uncomfortable. So I glued on a small piece of composite plate to the outside of the arms and put velcro backing on it. Then I put the velcro on the inside of the blinders and bing! Adjustable, comfortable and you can make them any size you want.

14. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Are feed bags allowed by the ATA?

15. razor

razor TS Member

if you do sweat like pat says us northern shooters do. you can order the cloth blinders from 'dennis cates trapshooting blinders' they are real nice for shooting in the heat. razor

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use blinders to block glare. If you want to block movement of a shooter or something else from the side, it is best to make a blinder that is lower on the side. I can see movement under my blinders when the gun is mounted.

Pat Ireland

17. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

If you want some great blinders that allow very good air flow, don't move with your glasses, great adjustment and block out both sun and fellow shooters give these a try.
    Mfg by Bill Yost, Reed City, MI

jbmi_2008_030328.jpg

jbmi_2008_030329.jpg

18. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Feed bags......... LOL

19. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Blinders worked for me at first (for about 3 months), then i had all sorts of problems that went away when I stopped using them. I now use an Outdoor Research bucket hat that drops just enough to block shooters to my right. Not crazy about the look but it works for me.

20. loop02

loop02 Member

I wouldn't need blinders if the dickhead on my right would wait until I shoot to start waving his gun around. Where do these assholes learn this? Do whatever you want, when it is your turn.To get even, take about 2 minutes to let him stop before you shoot. He will start to wonder what is going on and stop his gun for a while. And if you say movement shouldn't bother me, then time shouldn't bother him. But I had another one, he would let his 391 slam shut, and throw my bird while my gun was going up. I said something and so did others on the squad and he denied it. Get a trap gun! Acorange... maybe you are crosseyed and have no peripheral vision. Did you play the banjo in the movie Deliverance? Has anyone tried black under their eyes like a ballplayer, cuts glare from your cheeks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
blinders for shooting glasses
blinders for sun glases
blinders for trap shooting
shooting blinders
shooting blinders for glasses

shooting glasses blinders

trap shooting blinders

trap shooting glasses blinders