1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tips on Shooting Trap" by Rudy Etchen

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Earl4140, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

"Tips for Shooting Trap" by Rudy Etchen

I assume there are only 3 or 4 trapshooters who are not aware of this site. I've been on 'joeletchenguns' many times and totally missed it. I discovered this site by searching Dogpile for "how to shoot handicap trap". The tips are presented in a question/answer format. The first thing that jumped off the pages for me was Mr. Etchen's comment on using the light trap load back to at least the 25 yard line (maximum at that time).

Here is an excerpt: "... You must have a gun that fits you, shoots where you look and in which you have confidence. You've got to have tremendous capability for concentration and learn to shoot one target or one pair at a time. The third thing, something we used to talk about years ago but which you don't hear much of anymore, is trigger timing. Trigger timing is something an experienced shooter needs in order to be a great shot ...".

"...GRITS: What load do you shoot on singles?

RUDY: The 2 ¾ dram, 1 1/8 ounce of No. 8 shot. It's all you need. It's plenty fast, and it doesn't punish you. I shot light 8s all one year at 25 yards - then the maximum - had a 94.60 average, high for the U.S..

GRITS: Do you still shoot that load on handicaps?

RUDY: Under normal conditions, yes. With a severe crosswind the 3 dram 7 ½ shot helps at 27 yards..." Edited about 0920 12/11/07 Earl4140

2. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

I've got that whole article and it is super, especially how he could afford any shotgun but shot the ole 870. The Etchen grip really helps control the gun.
    ftlupton

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Try this link. It's a good article, well worth the time to read it.

Neil

4. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

I read through the article and noticed that a lot of his advice is contradictory to several of today's top shooters.

5. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

I just bought Fred Etchen's book Commonsence Shotgun Shooting. Gteat read.
    Interesting pictures.

David

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

There's a guy about three threads up looking for this book!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rudy etchen

rudy etchen monti carlo stock
rudy etchen trapshooting
trap shooting handicap tips