1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on shooting farm pigeons?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Have some local farmers that want the birds cleared out (off the silos and barns). Trouble is they're tough to get. Been using #8 but I suspect the need a stout load of #6 at a good clip.

They usually give you one good presentation. But when shot at, they dive sharply and aren't hit. After that they don't come back to the silos for quite a while.

Seem to have been educated by someone else first .

How far would you shoot at them?
    Types of swings or leads?
    Would swing through or pull away better?

Any tips or recommendations?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've always found my usual dove load (which is my usual handicap load) of 7-1/2s to work well on barn pigeons.

Ed

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

BB cap and baby bottle nipples.. Silent. head shots.. have fun.. I use to use an old Savage model 29 pump. Iron sights.. Might I suggest some corn in the middle of the floor.. Sit behind a hay bale.. lay out your ammo.. and plink away..

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Trap them their worth $3.00 to $5.00 each to Pigon shooters and dog trainers.

If you must shoot them the recomended load for a live bird ring is 1 1/4 oz 7 or 7 1/2 depending on where your shooting.

When training spaniels for fild trials I can get some good hits with 1 1/8 oz load of Copper plated 6's and the tightest choke you have. With that load the birds should be consistantly killed out to 60 yards.

If you need help give me a call I live shooting winged rats.

Joe Goldberg

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Don't even bring a gun for farm birds. If you have a broom or tennis racket, that will be more than adequate and you won't have to worry about biting into shot.

Tron

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used to use a daisy red ryder and they would not fly away.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Trap shells with 7 1/2 or 8s work just fine, IMOD choke. The ones I shoot aren't that fast but they do move in big flocks which can be confusing. Pick one bird and stay on it and follow the shot through. The going away shots are easier for me than the incoming birds. With experience, you will get a pretty good idea of the common flight patterns at each property and you can set up your ambush spots accordingly.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

shoot them in the lips.

9. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

OK, PerazziBigBore---I'll bite--how do you use the baby bottle nipple?

10. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

I like Tron's method for not spoiling the meat! LOL

Thank's Mike

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Over the end of the barrel on a 22 and used in conjunction with CB caps.

This is a very silent and stealthy way to hunt those critters in close quarters.

ec90t

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Back in the dark ages when I was a kid, we chased them out of the barn or silo and didn't shoot them when we chased them out. When they started to come back to the barn or silo, then we'd shoot them. If you shoot at them on the way out, you educate the whole damn bunch. they come back in in small groups and you not only have a better presemtation, you don't educate too many at one time. Trap loads are plenty heavy duty.

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use my skeet gun to shoot them coming out of my steel quonset...great fun...just like shooting a low house pair from staion 4...and I wouldn't eat the ones that live around here!!

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

EC90T speaks the truth.. I see great minds think alike.. Very.. Very quiet..

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm not picturing the baby bottle nipple on the end of the barrel thing. Not sure I get it.

Which way do you put it on the barrel?

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been shooting barn pigeons for years, I get them coming in to roost on silos and grain fields, I have killed as many as 300 in one afternoon by myself. I hunt the chicken egg farms north of Johnstown Ohio, there are thousands of them, but when mating time comes they are scarce, then when it's harvest time they fly into and out of the fields all day long, I lean up against the barn, and behind tractors, I use trap loads 7 1/2s and 8s occasionally 6s, I shot one and just as it hit the ground a HAWK dived in and swooped off with him, and this during my shooting them, never seen it happen again.

I use my single Bbl trap gun w/release trigger.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I must have had a misspent youth. I know exactly what he is talking about with the baby bottle nipple. Old jack lighting poacher trick. An effective silencer on a single shot .22 rifle. Works in the daytime too. Get close. gyrine

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pat. Duck decoys?

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Any of you ever shine rabbits????

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

timb99,

A baby bottle nipple slid over the end of the barrel nipple out. I generally secure the nipple in place with a rubberband. When you fire the cb's, the bullet goes through the end of the nipple (cb's are subsonic). When the bullet goes past the nipple it reseals itself trapping the gasses. This almost eliminates all noise from the gun (check local/federal laws for legality).

I use an old stevens single shot 22 for this. If you do this just right, you won't poke any holes in the roof.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do pigeons stay in silos

shooting pigeons in the barn

shooting pigeons off silows

shooting pigeons out of silos