1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on high school coaching?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BBman, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBman

BBman Member

Anyone have any tips on coaching a high school trap team? I will be coaching a Junior team this year. While it is my first year coaching I feel I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to trap but just looking for those little tips/hints.

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

you will realize different kids respond to different coaching methods. One kid will absorb everything like a sponge, and another might only pickup one thing out of 4 you teach or show him. But most important from the very git go, safety has to be #1. No B.S.ing around. Birdtracker

3. hdskip

hdskip Member

Several suggestions from a teacher. Establish yourself as the leader immediately. Make it interesting and fun for the kids. Safety is non-nogiatable. I teach machine shop to high schoolers and coaching a trap team requires constant vigilance for safety perhaps more than what I teach. One thing in your favor is the fact that most of your athletes will be there because they want to be there. This fact helps in the coaching/teaching process. I applaud you for your willingness to spend your time with these young people. ( I'm sure the pay isn't great LOL ) It could be one of the most rewarding things you've ever done. It is for me. Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Inquring minds want to know!!!!! LOL

Gary Cline

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

if you have time-- call me later today-- i wud love to visit with you! i built a gunclub for this reason-- i can help you, but cant type it all!!! wally riebesell 660-744-4115 rock port mo

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

BBman, I envy you having the ability to coach a high school team in the shooting sports. I would love to do that at the school I teach at. Being close to chicago the word shot gun is rarley spoken, and have the board ok a team; not in my life time. Interesting that years ago the school had an ROTC program and a (small bore) range in the basement of the school.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BBman,

Send a private message to a guy who posts here whose handle is tachyon.

He has been coaching an all girl's high school team for several years.

He may have some suggestions.

Marian High School in Omaha, NE

7. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Get on the ATA web site and follow the links to the AIM program. It is set up for youth/academic shooting programs.

js in PA

8. K-Hill

K-Hill Member

Glad to see more people getting involved with kids and the shooting sports.I have been coaching a SCTP skeet team here in MI now for 3 yrs. and the one thing that I have learned is that you can tell them how,show them how and they still have that blank look on their face . What you need to do is figure out some exercises they can do to achieve the feeling of what you are trying to get them to do.Until that happens GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING. Most important don't give up.
    Good luck K-Hill

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Never under estimate that "blank look"....it isn't always "cool" to acknowledge that you have just learned something you didn't already know. Leo works with lots of kids and everyone learns differently and reacts differently to learning. Those kids who seems to be not paying any attention may surprise you by being able to repeat back to you everything you just said. We highly recommend a clinic from a qualified instructor once the gun safety and basics have been learned. Good habits form a solid foundation upon which to build a lifetime of good shooting.

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Nebraska has about 1,850 kids that shot trap last year (2009) in grades 6-12. This web link above is the metro area conference web site that will give you some information. If you are close by the first week of May, come to Doniphan Nebraska (about the middle of the state, 4 miles south of I80 at the Grand Island exit) to see some really great kids who work their tails off and rarely get any publicity. You can stop by Hornady in Grand Island and fill up on all the Downrange wads you need in Doniphan as the DR trailer is always there. We even let Merlyn sneek out of Misery and show us them there NICE trap guns. Bruce (Tachyon) always has great female shooters. Check your male ego at the gate..... It is NO SHAME to get your trap butt kicked by a female trap shooter from Nebraska. It happens all the time!!!!! ROFL

Still addicted and loving it.

Omaha

Nebraska .... Where your snowblower may throw farther than mine!

11. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I coach a 4H shotgun team. Trap...get the Terry Jordon wall chart and every decent trap shooting DVD you can afford. Kids today are very visual, they can learn much by watching DVD's and learn to be smooth with wall chart. If it's a good DVD with the eyecam, they will see the bird barrel relationship and progress very quickly. Besides, both the DVD's and wall chart are cheap compared to targets and ammo.

Safety first! For the first few sessions, control the ammo....you hand them one shell at a time...that way you know there will only be one possible live firearm on the line and you will standing right there to instruct, watch, and protect your other shooters. Good early one on one time...time to spot the knuckleheads and the more promising shooters.

Lock the trap down, start building sight pictures, working on solid gun mounts so you can fine tune the gun fit. With one one live round in one gun, EVERYBODY on the line "shoots every target"...that'll let each kid "shoot" 125 targets per round of trap. They can work on gun mount, hold point, eye position, and dry fire on each target out of the house and save some money doing it. Make 'em earn the right to carry live ammo.

Don't just shoot trap...let each kid shoot 3 to 5 shots in row...let them have a change to hit the target, coach them onto the target, if they hit the first time do it several more times...it is just as important that they KNOW they can hit it and it wasn't just luck.

Never turn down any help and don't be afraid to ask for help. Involve parents and other shooters....even if they don't shoot, they can score, they can help herd the "cats"....with a bunch of kids and shotguns, you need all the eye balls you can get and willing hands are blessings. I've had kids who I could not do anything with...I was convinced they could not hit a barn if they were standing inside with door closed! Try a different coach...some kids just won't connect with you and a different coach will just click and all the sudden they are on fire. Maybe it is just the way we phrase things or our mannerisms. I confess, we sometimes play good coach/bad coach with these kids....it works...sometimes.

Some kids are just naturals. Some kids take coaching very well, some don't or won't. Value your time, the naturals do not need much of it and the kids that don't or won't take coaching will be a waste of your time. Focus on the middle group, they gain the most from your time. That sounds pretty hard hearted, it is....it's a tough world and it's tougher on stupid people. Give me one dumb butt kid who wants to learn and I'll give him MY time as long as he does what I want and he tries hard. The ones that know it all or don't care, I just slide over with a short comment...Behind or look at it hard. I do not ignore them, I just put in the same amount of effort they do. They will notice this and ask why I don't coach them.. I tell them, because you don't listen, you don't execute. I also tell them when THEY get serious, so will I. Here's the kicker....3 of my best shooters WERE knuckleheads! Sometimes they come around. Sometimes they don't. Some stay, some don't for whatever reasons.

The one thing we demand is good grades in school....no pass, no shoot, no exceptions. Much of shooting is about focus and concentration...they can learn that on the field and put it to use in the classroom. Shooting can be used as a big carrot for better school work.

For all that was said above, make it fun. It is suppose to be fun for every one. I feel blessed to have been around these kids and watch them grow up. This will be the last year of shooting for the first group we started. Then they're gone, off into college, the service, and the world. You tend to get attached to these knuckleheads.

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I think every State in the USA. that has school teams has about 5 teams that are using my Wall Charts. I would say there are probably over 100 Junior teams using charts.

Terry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

coaching a youth trap shooting team

coaching high scholl trapshooting
coaching trap
coaching trap shooters
links to youth trap shooting omaha
tips for the high school trap shooter
trap shooting coaches in omaha

trap shooting coaching tips