1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tips on handicap targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Any tips on shooting handicap targets from 24-26 yds? Someone suggested to raise comb 1/8 inch, nay others?

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

It depends on the shooter and the gun. For years I raised the comb 1/8" on caps. Now with the TM-1 I raise it for 16's lower it back for caps at 27yds. I have no idea why that came about. Basically, if you're beading the target at one yardage and covering the target at a different yardage you should adjust the comb to get the same look at both yardages.

Buz

3. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

i shoot from the 26 on our league team, no nitros none of that stuff, so i just get em pretty quick out of the house, pretty simple, usualy on the nineteen since im a subjunor and am barely starting

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

A friend told me allways under and in front of the target. Never behind and over the target.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Do what got you there in the first place. Shoot and shoot and shoot. Practice makes perfect. Everybody is always looking for a quick fix.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

As smsnyder said, possibly the best tip that I have ever read anywhere was to shoot the front lip of the bird. I say it to myself every time I mount the gun. We can discuss for days the proper lead, etc etc etc, but just focusing on shooting the leading edge keeps me on the bird and the correct lead just happens through practice.

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

Knutershooter, congrats on wanting to shoot higher scores in your handicap, of utmost importance is getting the gun to impact correctly at handicap yardages, put your gun on paper, make sure it is PERFECT center, many shooters make a monumental error by moving the gun upward before the target even clears the house, they then think their gun shoots too high, WRONG! go to a trap field, go to post 3 and shoot some targets, eyes quiet, STEADY! shoot and kill the target with your eyes, nothing else! adjust your stock upwards until you are "rolling em" getting great hits, now don't be afraid that the 16's will now be too flat, as you get closer, the angle of attack of the target is more severe , the same combo works well at 16's and the 27. A few accomplished trap shooters will shoot their O/U barrels at 16 yd. targets only because the balance is in between their hands, no difference in impact,The recipe works very well, incinerate em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
27 yard handicap trap shooting tips
27 yd handicap trap shooting

handicap trap shooting tips

shooting handicap trap
tips on handicap trap shooting
trap shooting handicap tips
trap shooting tips look at the target
trap tips at handicap yardages