1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on grinding pads- B&R Jig and Disc Sander

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Got my B&R jig a week or so ago (after being backordered from brownells for a month and a half). Finally got it setup about a half hour ago on a 10" harbor freight disc sander (really not half bad for $50 or $60). Messed around grinding one pad for a rifle, its close, not professional, but i'm tired (was fixing to go to bed, but i've been putting off setting this thing up for a week and finally had the ambition to get'er done) and the lighting was very poor. The finish on the pad was alot better than I expected right off the disc (I think i have a 60 grit disc on there now). One thing I did notice is if you try to grind on the wrong part of the disc, it gets VERY grabby, you really have to find a sweetspot on the disc and not wander too much. I may change to a belt sander eventually, but the disc was cheap, and I didn't want to invest too much incase this venture was a flop. Any tricks you can share about my setup (you know, those things I'll eventually figure out by experience, but they'd be nice to know now).

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too say a belt sander (Alumiun Oxide belts). Will work for the metal adj. butt plates if you ever have need to install one of those as well. Have fun. Break-em all. Jeff

3. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Good advice. Thanks

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Disk sanders will work but you must realize that different areas of the disk are spinning at different rates. I used a edging sander (6' belt sander mounted on a heavy base with a table that can be adjusted for angle). I used a 150 grit belt just because that was the belt always on the machine for other work I was doing. Whatever sander you use will make a great mess in the shop and on your face.

I tried putting the pads in a freezer overnight and could not tell any difference when sanding them. With a little practice with scrap wood, you can learn to sand exactly to a line. Touching up the plastic with 220, 280 and 320 grit paper and then a little polish will make the plastic shine.

Pat Ireland

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Pat--I don't understand the speed issue that you mentioned.A revolution is a revolution-a solid disc cannot spin at a different speed at any section of it.Or can it??LOL--Dennis--Thanks

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Dennis.........the rpm will be the same, but, the surface speed will be different

Lets say it is spinning at 600 rpm = 10 rps.At 2 inches from the center the surface speed will be 2 x 3.14159 = 6.28318 inches per second.

At 5 inches from the center surface speed = 5 x 3.14159 = 15.70795 inches per second.. that is 2.5 times as fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.