1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on forwarding e.mail

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hitapair, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Emile, My experience has been that a lot of times the person you are forwarding to will not get attachments or pictures when I do what you are suggesting. How do you prevent that from happening?

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

Hitapair, This is entirely dependent on what program you are using for email. There are a LOT of them out there, so your question is hard to answer.

Bruce

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jaffey Guy, Another way to delete those address's is to hold down on your mouse button and and drag the mouse through them. This will highlight everything and then just hit delete.

Works for most, but some are more stubborn than others.......Like AO-Hell..

Hauxfan!

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

another thing is set up groups of people in different areas of interest. jokes, cars, guns, hunting etc. Place names of the people that you want to send into each group. Then when you forward something just go to the group and use BCC [blind carbon copy} and paste in that group. Also do as Hauxfan says and delete all the other info in the forwarding email. It prevents everyone else in the world form obtaining that list of people and shortens the email so you don't get 50 different forward lists for everyone else.motordoc

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

When forwarding E mails I always delete the other recipients E mail addresses (the people that received the mail that i received). I do not like forwarding E mail addresses. Bulge

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jaffrey, I'm sure he meant he does as instructed above.

I've had my email address harvested from people here sending forwarded stuff; sometimes with as many as 50, 100, or more addresses all listed. I've begun to have additional forwards coming from people that I don't even know because of that. It's not a pleasant thing to see how easy it is to harvest good addresses this way and have them sold to spammers. Please guys n gals, delete previous addresses before you forward internet humor, religiosity, junk, et cetera....Bob Dodd

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Here is a trick that I invented and advocate:

Use a dummy email address. I use dummy@wahoo.com

Put the dummy email address in the "Send to" field.

Put ALL YOUR OTHER recipients in the BCC (blind carbon copy) field.

This works whether you are FORWARDING an email or even COMPOSING A NEW email. What the recipient gets is an email that shows his/her name only, and the dummy email address.

In addition, when you FORWARD an email, be sure to DELETE in the *BODY* of the email:

1. Anybody else's email address.

2. Any contact information from any previous sender (phone numbers, addresses, etc).

3. Any sensitive information that should not be read by other people (such as personal comments or gossip).

4. Any automatic add-ons from sender's providers (for example, the "get free smileys here" or AVAST messages, etc that are usually found at the bottom of emails.

Remember, not only are you protecting your friends from unintended disclosure of their contact information, but you are doing your part to rid the internet of spam, and you are also preventing it from slowing down. The more information that you send, the more bandwidth that is used up. Keep your emails as small as possible by cutting out the "fat".

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Oh, forgot to say that when you send emails using the dummy address, you will get a message back saying "recipient not found" or something to that effect.

All that is telling you is that the dummy address didn't work. All of your other recipients, however, DID receive it. You can just delete the failure notice (after reading it to make sure it was for "dummy@wahoo.com".

9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

recurvyarcher is correct, it is very important when forwarding and email to erase all unnecassary info in the body. Click and drag you mouse so it is hilighted and then hit delete and it will erase. I erase email addresses and everything elses but the message. Lot of companies pay good money for email addresses.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jaffrey, Just like Bdodd, recurvy and trim tab are saying. Delete all previous E addresses and everything but the body of the message. Bulge.

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.