1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on cleaning chokes (I need some)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Have a couple of old chokes that apparently I didn't get clean (or didn't clean when I put them away). Anyway, I was cleaning all the odds and ends this past weekend these two chokes seem to have a build up of plastic in them. Gave them a shot of Break Free and let them set about 5 min. This cleaned up alot of the crud but still have a layer of this stuff that doesn't want to come off.
    Any suggestions on getting these things cleaned out??

Actually any suggestions when it comes to cleaning things in general would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chuck

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Take this cleaning a few steps further... soak the chokes in any cleaner/solvent. Get a drill with a brass bore brush and a short rod, spray the brush with Break Free, hold on to the choke tube with a pair of pliers wrapped in duct tape [to avoid scratching the tube]and then ream out several times. Clean with a rag... Fred.

3. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

starship ...... A brass bottle brush and solvent (even paint thinner, $4.00 gal at Wallie World) works great as a clean up tool but a small investment in a stainless steel plumbers pipe brush will knock both the carbon and plastic out faster than anything when used sparingly as your primary tool and a pair of those plumbers brushes cost around $10.00 at your favorite plumber supply store.

4. bigben

bigben Active Member

Actually a short soak in acetone and the plastic will fall out, acetone is avaialable at most all harware and paint stores incinerate em!

5. Bob M

Bob M Member

Another vote for the brass brush and drill combo. Shootin' Accessories has some serious 'de-chunkification' brushes. Their brass brute cleans the bore in a matter of seconds. They have special brushes for forcing cones and choke tubes.

I'll also cast another vote for the Slip 2000 cleaner as well. Their products are amazing. They are safe to use without ventilation and 'Mother' doesn't complain about the smell, but the brush and drill is faster.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I've found that Slip 2000 Choke Tube Cleaner is not a one shot fix if the plastic build-up is heavy. You may have to go through two or more soaking/scrubbing cycles before you are finished.

I still have the Slip2000, but have gone to Shooter's Choice Shotgun Choke and Bore cleaner. It works better than anything I've tried yet. Apply liberally and distribute, then wait at least a couple minutes before you start with the bore brush.

I've found it easier to clean chokes while still in the gun. If you want to clean them while holding them in your hand, Briley's Choke Brush works well. Insert in each end of the tube and spin.

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

One more vote for the brass bore brush...only chuck it up in a drill press, use some Ed's Red on the tubes, hold the tubes with two, notched pieces of wood, and spin the press up to max rpm.

The plastic won't last more than 5 seconds. (and the tube will get HOT!, so be forewarned)

8. C H S

C H S TS Member

I have used Brownell's "EZ Soak" for years on really cruddy choke tubes. Soak them for as long as needed and then follow up with a 16-gauge chamber brush. Even comes with special wire clips to put chokes on so you can find them when you're ready. So effective at dissolving most plastic it comes in a glass jar and will quickly eat the print off its own label. When it gets dirty, strain out the big bits and keep using. Rinses off with water.You MUST oil the parts afterward.
    <center>[​IMG]</img></center>
    Andy

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Carb cleaner & drill with brass 10ga bore brush. It will be spotless.

10. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

Put in a glass jar overnight with carb cleaner, they will wipe right off.

11. dzeh

dzeh Member

I had a friend do the carb cleaner thing with his factory Beretta Optima chokes and it took the colored constriction bands off. Gotta be careful what you use on Beretta Optima chokes. Anything that readily dissolves plastic will do a number on those bands!

12. oz

oz Active Member

I use a sharp knife. lacquer cleaner will absolutely dissolve plastic. oz

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Acetone works for me, too. No smoking or open flames, though!

14. DocJim

DocJim Member

Soak in acetone or Hoppe"S #9 overnight, then put a 12 gauge stainless steel "tornado" brush in your drill chuck and it's out in no time. Spray after shooting with WD 40 to prevent buildup.

Jim G

15. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

scouts honor, Coca-Cola!!! try it, then imagine what it does to your insides!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.