1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on Canterbury traps?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

We just bought a Canterbury "Trap Master" trap. The unit was manufactured in Feb. of 2003. Does anybody have advice on operation, spare parts to keep or anything to watch out for. I called Bob Shultz in N.C. and they said they could supply any parts we needed. Any info would be helpful, Thanks.

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Slide, Call Bob again and ask to talk to Gary Parker, The canterbury guru. He should be able to help you out.

Jim

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Congrats Slide action. Those traps throw very consistent target. They use the Winchester arm. Change the rubber on the arm when it gets hard(approximately every 6 months). Todd

4. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

We will be shooting this weekend at a club that has 4 Canterbury traps. They will hang a target in the wind if the trap works. They do the best they can to keep them working but we have gone to several shoots where some of the traps broke down.

Doubles is the strangest thing when you hope the target comes out in the same spot 25 times.

You can go the website above and look for the Watauga GC. I believe they list an email address for some of the officers.

We remember the South Carolina State Shoot and the experiment that failed using Canterbury traps. South Carolina now has PAT Traps and I don't beleive there is a Canterbury on the grounds.

38-01615

5. slide action

Trapshooter, I'll thanks for the tip on the arm rubber. The arm does look like the one on a Winchester--Jim, I'll give Gary a call tomorrow. They were using a voice release system and I need to get a pull cord ordered for it. Looks like the main bearing is a greasable bearing.--nomderf if money were no object I would have probably bought a Pat, but even a used one is twice what I paid for this one and it is fairly new . I'll just have to make do I guess. I shot over this trap for two years and while there were a couple of breakdowns, I never saw any real trouble with it. The doubles wern't perfect, but they were legal targets and shootable. We only practice and hold "fun shoots"and I'm getting older and tired of crawling down in the house and hand setting the targets so I figure this will be an improvement. The club I got it from updated to a Pat and wanted to sell it so I picked it up. Thank you for posting the address.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot over Canterbury Traps at the same two places mentioned by nomderf. I , like him, am not a strong supporter of these machines.

Pat Ireland

7. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

Hello Slide action

May I suggest that you contact Russell Smart at the factory he is most helpful he is on here some times I think he has a the name greenfinger? You would have dial whatever # you need to use for overseas from the US then 64(NZ)3(Christchurch)384-4524 then extention 821 or wait to be conected. I am sure that they would like to know about your trap.I see the negitive comments from Pat and others.We have a machine that at last look at the counter it had thrown 399898 targets with only a broken main spring,broken rubber roller spring and a bolt on the solinoid. (since updated)
    Slide action if you would like to post your phone # and state I would give you a call and tell you all about these traps as we have now quite a lot of them here in Australia. They do throw a very good target in windy conditions and it is a Winchester arm in fact the early ones were from winchester.
    By the way when do you sleep Pat????
    Regards Stubbie aka John Holder.

8. gunner

gunner TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't think that Bob Schultz sells the machines any more - too many problems (but I'm sure he'd love to sell parts only). The South Carolina traps were finally returned and replaced with Pats. The people at Watauga work their as...es off to keep theirs running and throwing decent targets - doubles is the main problem. Hope that you have better luck.

9. slide action

Randy, I have both the solenoid, main spring,and extra fingers with the trap. I got ahold of Gary Parker and he answered a lot of my questions.-- stubbie, Email me at oldmechanic@hotmail.com

10. green fingers

green fingers TS Member

Hi Slide action.
    If you go to our website you can download the latest manual. It also has FAQ's for common problems. The last batch of Traps shipped to USA was in July 2003. We are still making them 4 years on and have kept developing and improving. Our main sales are in the South Pacific area. Due to the high exchange rate ($NZ1 = $US0.74) We are not exporting to the USA at the moment. Because of the time difference here it is better to email me direct with any specific questions. New Zealand is 17 hours ahead of New York.
    Regards green fingers

11. slide action

green fingers, do you by any chance have a video presentation on the operation of your machines? I would interested in ordering it if you do. Thanks

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The above link for the web site Russell (green fingers) listed will work.

We had some initial problems with our Crusader (only throws singles - no doubles) trap machine. It has worked very well for the last few years. We recently purchased a set of wireless voice releases. The target presentation is very good and the members of our club are now very happy with the machine. We keep a spare main spring on hand and have had good service for spare parts from Bob Schultz.

I suspect the main reason we are not seeing the Canterbury machines imported to the US is the exchange on the dollar and these machines are also subject to import duties. These cost factors would make the machines uncompetitive IMHO. Bill Malcolm

13. green fingers

green fingers TS Member

Slide action. We do not have a video but Bob Schultz at Target Shotguns had one for the Trapmaster and Crusader machines. If you contact him there may still be some available. Green fingers

14. slide action

green fingers, Thanks! I will give them a call tomorrow. Gary sent me a pull cord for the machine. Wish I had known they had a video before he shipped it. thanks again an shoot well.

15. slide action

I called Gary today and he said they no longer had the video, also the video they had before was for another model, so I guess it's just trail/error to get it set up. The only initial problem I see is the elevator platform is in front of the arm(should be behind it) Gary said I can pull the elevator platform off, rotate the motor by hand in reverse and then reinstall it when the arm runs past it.

16. green fingers

green fingers TS Member

slide action. Yes Gary is correct on the way to restore the timing. Remember to completely back off the spring adjustment to make it safe for you. Send me your email address and I will give you more information.

17. green fingers

green fingers TS Member

slide action. Yes Gary is correct on the way to restore the timing. Remember to completely back off the spring adjustment to make it safe for you. Send me your email address and I will give you more information.

18. slide action

email is oldmechanic@hotmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cantaberry traps

canterbury crusader trap machine

canterbury crusader trap machines

canterbury trap repair schultz

how to work a catabury trap

issues with canterbury crusader trap machine