1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for shooting from a stool or chair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Due to medical problems, I find it necessary to shoot from a stool. I have never been a good shooter but I have shot a couple rounds from a stool after having surgery and my scores were some of the lowest that I ever shot.

One thing I found is that my 30 inch 870 barrel is to heavy and to long for me, so I will be shooting a modified 28inch trap barrel instead.

Anyone out there that is either a chair or stool shooter that can offer some tips on shooting better scores. I have always respected chair and stool shooters but never thought how much harder it can be and what changes need to be made?

Any useful tips, and does anyone know if a chair shooter has ever made a trapshooting video?
    Steve Balistreri

2. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

We have recently started having side game "bucket shoots" ... and everyone young enough to get on/off the buckets enjoys it. My scores are the same!!

Link above^^^

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Steve..I shot from a stool for a while..I'm 5'7" and found that the cheap oak barstools with the round seat from Walmart worked perfect with the legs shortened to 22"...it allows you to sit with just a slight bend to your knees for a natural forward stance that allows your trunk to turn for a natural swing and its very light and stable...they are only a bit over $20 ..the round seat part is important because squared seats have corners that tended to cut off circulation and resulted in a good case of numbbutt...let me know if you need a pic and I'll dig it out of my truck and snap one for you

4. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Steve.......a few years ago and good friend & shooter had to shoot from a stool. He did NOT like the way your movement was restricted. After much discussion I suggested I take the stool and....Remove about 2 or 3 inches from the 2 front legs. Some may like more removed. This gives you the feeling of LEANING instead of sitting and allows you MUCH MORE ability to pivot & swing on your target!!!!!!! Your feet are more stable to the body as you sit (lean) on your chair. Give it a try. Take 2 or 3 inches off (or more) and SEE THE DIFFERENCE. If you don't like the feel;cut the back and level it off... your going to like it and pivot SO much better........."run'em" DanB

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Steve, as an alternative, you might consider on of the buckets that are sold for dove hunting that have a swivel seat on them. This would let you rotate towards the target.

Bob

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Kay Ohye has you perform this as a drill in his clinics. Boy, does it give you a new perspective on upper body movement, when lower body involvement is removed.

I found you need to keep your legs well spread apart, and lean forward significantly. Much like you would lean forward and pick up a 25lb. dumbbell off the floor. I found it best to get right up on the front edge of the seat, and pretty much lean forward as much as you can and still be actually sitting on the chair...sorta like getting off a ski lift. Practice sitting down very, very slowly...when you get just to the first point where you butt touches the seat, freeze, and hold that position...that's just about what you're trying to emulate.

If you sit back like you do when performing other activities, you'll be behind targets and getting kicked back on your ass like nobody's bidness (which is exactly what Kay is trying to teach you). If you sit back like you're reading a book or watching TV, be prepared for a nice surprise when you fire that first shot (assuming you're not just gargantuan or something). If you see what it's about, it can really make you a better shooter.

(It's a tough, but good, drill...funny how the "clinic bitchers" never tell you about this one. It REALLY gives you a new appreciation for the talent of those wheelchair shooters who are legitimate 27-yarders).

7. senior smoke

You have all given me some very good ideas to consider. Some really good tips. I was shooting behind my angle targets consistently.
    Thanks,
    Steve

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

At one time I too had to use a stool and found I dropped too many targets . My suggestion is once you get it to the right height , push off the stool for a second and shoot standing up . Thats what I had to do but maybe you need to sit the whole time ??

9. senior smoke

ljutic111:
    I am trying my best to get some more stamina in this body of mine. My goal is to shoot our local clubs winter events.
    Steve

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Steve. I have been shooting off a stool since early 2006. It isn't easy but it was shoot from a stool or quit and too stubborn to quit. Now I am using a folding stool from Walmart and I have put s swivel top on it. This way I can pivot using my legs and hips to turn my shoulders to track the target. When I first started I would move my shoulders only and found that I was going over the target. I keep my feet the same distance apart as I did when standing and I also lean a little more forward. This helps with recoil and going over the targets. I am shooting a Kolar TS, which is a heavy shotgun. If you want we could meet at Waukesha or Boxhorn so you can see what i am doing and we can talk. E-mail if you are interested.

Ed Fish
    Racine

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm 6'4" and started using a stool 3 years ago due to my bad back and knees. I use a 30" shop stool. It works for me + it's light enough that moving it from station to station is a breeze. Without it I'd be a spectator...and that ain't gonna work...

Ron Burr

Alberta

12. buckshot

buckshot Active Member

If any of you are sitting in a wheel chair without your legs or without the use of them as a balance point, try it with a strap above your waist to lean forward without the feeling that your going to fall out, the strap needs to be fastened to the back of your wheel chair it at least lets you push somewhat forward to lean into the gun mount, Good luck Tom.

13. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

This is very timely. Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone have suggestions for coaching a chair shooter? I'm a volunteer coach for a local high school and one of the students is in a wheelchair. I'd like to help the student enjoy the sport and improve his scores, but I don't have any experience shooting from a chair (I think I know what I'll be doing next trip to the trap field). I tried sitting in a chair and using my wall chart. From that little experience, it seems that I needed to be more squared up to the house than when standing in order to be able to swing the gun properly for all the angles. It also seemed that a barrel heavy gun was not ideal as it seemed harder to support. I'll have to try leaning forward more and not resting my back against the chair as suggested above.

Any other pointers, tips, or lessons would be welcomed!

Thanks,
    Ron

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ron ... you are correct on being "squared up"!

I shoot sitting on a stool ... and sit facing the 50 yard stake for all posts. That way you have the same amount of swing to either a right or left target (less chance of running out of swing).

Secondly ... since you are sitting, you must swing by twisting your torso, and not just your arms and shoulders.

Werks fer me!

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've seen folks that have to sit to shoot that either adapted or built a seat that sticks in the ground and the shooter leans on it at an angle. This allows them more upper body movement with their feet still more firmly planted on the ground than just sitting on a stool.

I'm not sure but I think Merlin of Merlin's Guns has done it that way.

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I should have added, that it is a bit of a learning curve to adapt to shooting from a stool. I've had to modify my foot position a bit to favor the swing to the angle target as I've got less mobility to pivot. Also I'm still getting comfortable with how much I lean forward and trying to be consistent with both issues. But I'm learning. Not quite there yet but it sure beats NOT shooting at all. I still need a gun fitter to check and see what needs to be changed as my guns don't fit me the same as when I was shooting from my hind legs and 150 lbs. ago.

Ron Burr

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Phil Ross of Redlands, California, has written a "Whitepaper/Syllabus" about shooting from a chair. It is quite detailed and, hence, he told me that it was refused for publication 'cause it is too long. (I word processed the article for him; he paid my fee, hence the syllabus is complete and is now for sale.)

Call Phil at 909-307-0385; he is on Pacific Time. As I recall, the article is the most technical and informative re. the subject. I don't know how much he decided to charge per copy.

I do know that Phil has broken "more than a few" 98's and one 99 from the 27 yard line shooting from a chair and shooting infrequently in ATA competition due to many demands upon his time. So there must be some "good stuff" in that article/instruction booklet.

18. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I've been shooting from a stool on and off for nine years, depending on my balance on a given day. I've seen some good advice on this thread but te best advice, already given twice, is to sit on the very edge of the seat. You can move better that way. Practice swinging your shoulders while sitting. The most common mistake for stool shooters is arm shooting. I'm six feet on the nose and the best stool for me is the $11 metal, folding stool from Wal-Mart -- the highest one. They also sell a short version. Good luck.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Steve...As an addendum..there is a thread about the wind or breaking it ...a hole cut inthe center of the seat for two way ventilation will add to your comfort ; )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i shoot trap on a stool

phil ross trapshooter stool