1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for loading #2 shot in a Mec 9000

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trappermike, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I would like to load some #2 shot for coyotes in a Mec 9000G. I read the manual and didn't see any good information. I have heard of shearing or cutting shot wiht the larger sizes. Can I do this or is the Mec Jr. a better idea? I have both. I don't need a lot of shells. Should I weigh the shot separately and the drop it in the shell rather than use the shot drop? Any help would be appreciated. I am familiar with the hevi-shot shells for yotes, but I would also like to use up the stuff I have from the old lead goose days.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. trappermike

OOPS, I found a reference for the adapter kit and I will call MEC, anyother advice?

3. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

I would go with the junior. You could load a box or two in a half hour and that would be easier than fighting your 9000. As for #2's on coyotes they had better be very close. They will work if they're inside 30 yards or so, but any farther than that and you wont get consistant penetration. I've skined yotes that where shot inside 40 yards with BB's and found that the pellets that hit the body where just under the skin and did no other damage it was usually throat or eye hits that did the killing. We now use 4 buck to kill them if they're trying to cross the road and rifles other wise. 4 Buck will cosistantly smoke them at 80 yards BB's at 35-45 and if all I had was #2's I'd stay home. We kill 70-80 per year between driving them and calling them. What ever you use they're a blast to hunt.

pumpgunner

4. trappermike

Thanks, pumpgunner, doesn't look like the adapter will work with 4 buck, so I will save my money. Will a Model 12 heavy duck gun do the trick or a BPS with extra full choke work better. I use a .243 at longer ranges, but a shotgun in the brush seemed like a good idea.

Mike

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mike,

I believe that Brian (in Oregon) has used his 12ga on them yippers. He was saying something out a hevishot shell that is made for just such things. He may weigh in on this subject and help you out.

ec90t

6. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Old model 12 will do the trick. We use shotguns for brush hunting or shooting them from the truck as they cross the road or try to.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I weigh my #2s on my digital scale and dump them into the Hull, they seem to jam up in the drop tube, and seem to shear the shot a lot if using the charge bar.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Get a 10 ga drop tube from MEC.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

trappermike, Weigh each individual shot charge or get a dipper as stated above. I've personally had better performance using a modified choke with 4 buck and even BB's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.